Y/N- You too. Bye.

I groaned in frustration as soon as I ended the call. Fuck, I knew timing has never worked with me, but damn. Out of all days, why does it have to be tomorrow? It's like the world doesn't want things to work out for me for once. I was happy for a while, now it looks like I'm paying for it once again. I can never be consistently happy without an obstacle knocking me over, possibly pushing me three steps back.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Lizzie asked worriedly.

"No, not really." I answered truthfully. "I just got off the phone with Athena and Westmore is making the masquerade party a mandatory event. It's tomorrow and I don't have any other choice but to go."

Lizzie caressed my back soothingly, calming me down, "I'll go with you. Let me be your date. Can I do that for you?"

"You'd be willing to do that?" I was taken aback. "I thought that you didn't want me to go."

"I know she's your biggest investor." She spoke softly. "So, this party, it's important not only to you but to your team. So, you have to go. And I happen to be going with you."

I smiled warmly, "How are you so understanding? Thank you."

Lizzie caressed my face with her thumb casually, "It's no problem. It's the least I could do for you after everything you've done for me."

I pulled her in for a warm embrace, genuinely thankful for everything that she is. When I felt her arms wrapped around my back, I wondered if she could feel it. My heart is beating just for her. And there's not a doubt in my mind that she's the only person capable of making me feel this way.

____

When we got back from the grocery store, the three of us formed a chain to efficiently put the things we bought inside the pantry, separating the ingredients we need to make spaghetti with meatballs. We make a great team. The three of us. Our shared laughter invaded the vicinity of the kitchen, defining this moment as one of my favorites.

"How does this sauce taste, babe?" Lizzie asked, dipping the spoon into the saucepan, getting me to taste it. "Should I add more salt or?"

"Wow, that's amazing." I praised her work. "Great job."

"I think the meatballs are almost done cooking." Maya chimed in. "They look done."

"Alright, let me see." I peeked over. "You're right. Why don't you grab that bowl over there and start putting them one by one. Tell me if you need help, okay?"

Maya nodded and followed my instructions. I continued with what I was doing, slicing the garlic bread in half, and laying them flat on a baking pan. I took a quick glance at Lizzie, who's too focused on perfecting her sauce despite the fact that I told her it was perfect. I admire that about her. She's a perfectionist, and her focused face is so adorable. I couldn't help but draw a content smile on my face.

After the food was done, we began to prepare the table. I was in charge of the plates, Maya with the utensils, and Lizzie with the food. We didn't say much to each other, but the casual murmurs we would say to one another as we're passing by, trying to make sure everything looked good was a little heartwarming to me. It was like we're a family getting ready for lunch. If I could stay in the moment forever, I would.