Chapter 6

Millie

Millie

The rest of the day goes painfully slow after my encounter with Bailey and that intimidating boy. As soon as I step off the school grounds, I go straight home to study and prepare before meeting Bailey to continue our project.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited to meet her tonight...

A pleasant shiver rolls up my spine at the thought of seeing Bailey tonight. She shouldn't be making me feel this way. I hate the way she makes me feel. I hate the way she makes me crave her.

She's just playing with me! I need to stay focused!

Unwanted thoughts float through my mind as I reach my house. I quickly dig into my bag for my keys and unlock the door. I heave out a sigh as soon as I step inside my home and slam the door behind me. Pilling my hair into a high ponytail, I make my way upstairs to my bedroom while trying to gather my thoughts.

Nothing is going to happen with Bailey Steele!

Clenching my eyes shut, I inhale a steadying breath and straighten my spine. Seconds later, the sound of my phone ringing snaps me out of my haze. I freeze momentarily before fishing my iPhone out of my pocket. Glancing at the screen, I slide it open and press it to my ear when I see it's my mom.

"Hi, mom! Are you okay?" I say while climbing the steps leading to my bedroom.

"Hey Millie! I'm good, don't worry! How was your day at school?" She asks as I push through my bedroom door.

"It was good! I just got back home. How is work going?" I reply after toeing off my shoes and dropping my heavy bag onto my bed.

"It's going well! Grandma called me and she wants us to dine at her place tonight. I told her we would be there!" My mom explains in a cheerful tone as I throw myself down on my king-sized bed and stare up at the ceiling.

"I'm sorry I don't think I'll be there, mom. Bailey wants us to work on our project tonight...I'm supposed to be at her place at 7 pm."  I voice my thoughts and start chewing on my thumbnail.

"Oh, okay. I understand! Don't worry I'll tell grandma you had to study with a classmate." She answers after clearing her throat.

"Sorry, mom... I kinda feel bad now! I can still cance—" I start speaking but the sound of my mom's voice cuts me off.

"No, no need to do that! That assignment is important! I don't want to retard it and nor does grandma. I'll bring you some food!" Mom tries to reassure me as I get out of the bed.

"Okay, thank you mom! I don't know when I'll be home though..." I state before pressing the speakerphone button.

"Do you want me to pick you up? You can send me a text once you want to go back home and I'll pick you up." She proposes as I open a dresser drawer and dig out my favorite pair of baggy jeans and a white crop top.