chapter three

"Really, Dr. Banner I'm fine. There isn't any need for any of this."

"Eliza, please call me Bruce. You're Cap's sister after all," he ensured as he checked one of the screens that was monitoring my brain waves. He wrote some things down on his clipboard as he gave me a side smile. "It was either this or get Captain Rogers, and I can tell by your independent personality, getting your brother was out of the question."

"Steve ... Steve cares too much. He is trying to understand something about me that isn't understandable."

"Not understandable to him, but understandable to a psychiatrist," Bruce sighed as I could see the suggestion of therapy in his eyes. I rolled my eyes at the same suggestion Steve had given me a couple days before. "Agent Rogers, how long have you been avoiding your medicine?"

I gave him a curious look as to what he had been implying and let out a scoff.

"Li -- "

"Don't say it," I growled angrily as I shot up on the bed nearly ripping the wires I was connected to. "It's Eliza. That other girl is dead."

"All right, okay, I'm sorry, Ms. Rogers," Bruce held his hands up in defense as he looked taken aback. "It's just, this fainting episode, your memories, the very clear manic I have set off in you .."

"I'm fine, Bruce. Better yet, do me a favor and don't mention any of this to Steve," I snatched my jacket off the chair as I ripped the wires from my head and began to rush out of his lab. I rushed to the elevator to go up to my office because solitude is what I needed. I didn't need to talk to anyone, I just needed be alone to think to myself. The memories and the PTSD had gotten the better of me thinking about Bucky recently, and sure it had been the first time Bucky had ever attacked, but memories are normal. I wasn't going to stress over a memory.

I slammed down in my office chair not realizing the folder that had been sitting on top of everything else. I brushed it off as getting more work and more damage to report. I sat there and had begun staring off into space as deep breaths made their way in my body.

Hydra Headquarters 1947

"Good morning, Ms. Rogers."

I had grown tired of hearing the same German accent every morning that would result in my torture for the day. It had been going on a year since they had made Bucky do what he had done to me and our child. The day I had thought I would save and reunite with the love of my life; I hadn't saved him, but I sure was reunited with him not in the ideal way I had dreamed. I had assumed that Howard and Peggy had given up looking for me or had assumed I was dead whichever had come first. I just knew I was going to be here until I died or managed to get out, but my death was no doubt going to be what occurred.

"I said good morning."

"Please, just let James and I go," I mumbled without letting my eyes meet his.

"There is nothing left of James Buchanan Barnes. He is only the Winter Soldier, my successful Winter Soldier. You have a drive, Ms. Rogers. A drive I want to make use of."

"Kill me instead, please. You're not going to turn me into a monster," I pleaded as I stared down into my lap.

"You have the strength I saw in Barnes. I could have more success with you," he smiled as he yanked me up and dragged me out of the cell I had been in. I kicked and screamed to try and get away from him to prevent the torture I knew was coming. "Open the chamber," he ordered as I continued hitting at his bicep and pried at his hands. I leaned in and hit hard at his forearm resulting in a sudden drop to the ground that had hurt my ass.