Chapter 26

"Bruce. Tell me you've heard from them." Y/n swerved around the slow moving truck in front of her, staying in the fast lane with her eyes darting back and forth from the road to her messages.

"Y/n, you need to calm down." Bruce said from the other line. "I'm putting your car in auto drive if I see you look down at your screen once more."

"I should've seen it coming." Y/n ignored him. "They exploded the Ukraine facility with us still in it, so why wouldn't they do the same to the others? Fuck."

She gripped onto the steering wheel as her hands got clammy. Another car honked loudly and zipped around her. "Okay, I'm hanging up. No offense, Bruce, but you're really not helping me."

"Wait!" She heard him say promptly. "They're on the Quinjet heading back. Message just came from Tony. He didn't say anything else."

Y/n exhaled slowly. "Alright. Thank you, Bruce."

Bruce quickly hung up, hurrying back to see what else Tony had typed, cursing under his breath at the response.

"Get the medbay ready."

♥︎♥︎♥︎

Y/n didn't remember how. At one point she was driving down the highway, the next she was standing with Bruce in front of the Quinjet landing pad.

"I'm not even gonna ask how much you were driving over the speed limit." Bruce said from beside her.

"How can you be so damn nonchalant about this?" Y/n looked to him in disbelief. "Are you really that desensitized?"

"What good is panicking gonna do?" Bruce chuckled humorlessly to himself. "Definitely wouldn't do me any good."

Y/n's face flared red in embarrassment. "Shit, I didn't mean it that way. I'm sorry."

Bruce offered her a sympathetic shrug. "I know you didn't. Besides, we've got more important things to worry about." The Quinjet slowly lowered in front of them and others from the medical team arrived behind Y/n and Bruce.

Nat was the first to exit from the jet as soon as the steel door lowered. Wanda's arm hung over her shoulder as she was guided out of the jet. There was a small gash under her eye and like the others, her face was covered in ash and soot from the explosion.

"Oh my God... Wanda!" Y/n hurried up to the two of them, but Wanda quickly shooed her away. "I'm fine, Y/n. I just got hit with a little debris."

"Y/n." Nat cut in, her voice slightly hoarse. "I've got her. Go get your guy, he's in worse shape."

Y/n's brows furrowed in confusion when her gaze finally drifted past Nat to the entrance of the ship.

She didn't spare Nat another second as she stumbled her way into the jet through the med team who were escorting the rest of the team out of the jet.

"Out of the way!"

Two people were standing on both sides of a stretcher, maneuvering it through the crowd. It was then that she saw the crimson red droplets following their trail.

"No... no no no no."

Bucky had already grabbed ahold of her wrist when she neared the stretcher. "Y/n.."