Chapter 25

"Reckless. Stupid. Absolutely foolish."

Y/n raked her teeth over her bottom lip as Fury loomed over her in the conference room, jabbing his finger in her direction.

"Listen here Y/l/n, if you weren't such a valuable member of this team, I'd have your ass standing at the elevator with a suitcase and a plane ticket straight out of New York."

Nat's voice interrupted him. "Director, I think you're be just a little unreasonable about-"

"Not a word out of you, Romanoff." Fury spat. "In fact, be ready for a little chat between us later on."

Natasha sat back, defeated. She offered Y/n a sympathetic shrug.

Y/n opened her mouth in attempt to get a word in more than once, each time cut off by Fury as he nagged further on.

She would steal an occasional glance at Bucky across the oak table, who she'd find already staring in her direction.

"I had this entire operation fully under control, yet you still felt the need to abandon any kind of intellect and almost get yourself killed." Fury fumed, towering above her as she sunk into the office chair after each sentence.

Y/n let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding once Fury had given her a chance to speak. "I apologize for my actions, Director. But rightfully so, I don't regret them."

"Here we go." Sam turned his head to avoid the awkward conversation, taking a long sip of his coffee.

"Oh? You don't?" Y/n gulped at his mocking tone, immediately regretting the small ounce of confidence she'd expressed. "Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the new Director of S.H.I.E.L.D!" Fury threw an arm up, turning around to draw the attention of every team member. "She knows all, apparently. She's a natural leader if you ask me!"

Y/n felt a wave of nausea wash over her as her face flushed bright crimson, suddenly wishing she had never stepped foot in the tower.

Scratch that, it'd be better if she hadn't even been born.

Yeah, that's more like it. Then there would be zero chances that this would be happening right now.

"Alright, alright we get it, Fury." Bucky ignored Fury's flaring gaze that he had been giving to the small handful of people who'd already tried to reason with him. "We weren't expecting her to ditch the plan like that, but the objective was acquired. She managed to grab the files before they were able to download any intel. She got there just in time."

Fury pinched the bridge of his nose and heaved a sigh. It was too early for this. "Alright, Y/l/n. And if HYDRA were to get their hands on said intel, then what?"

Y/n's words caught in the back of her throat, her gaze desperately shifting to Nat for help, but she quickly blurted out an answer before Nat could answer. "They wanted to reboot the super soldier program. With this information..." she tightened her jaw. "They could do it."

She searched Fury's gaze for any sign of doubt, praying she wouldn't have to elaborate on the so-called information.

It was stupid really. Keeping this kind of secret from the team as if it would do her any good in the awaiting future. Sure, it made moving into the tower much easier. Not having to explain that her mind was technically still erratic if she were placed in the wrong hands. It didn't help the fact that Tony had taken a decent amount of time to forgive Bucky for the fate of his parents. There was no way of knowing how he would react to another assassin living freely within the walls of his own tower.