Chapter 24

"You never had a life outside of HYDRA Soldat. This is your one and only home."

"No... I'll do whatever you say, anything. Just please... keep those things away from me."

"We must start again. She must focus on the tasks at hand. She's distracted."

The electricity surged. Pulsing through like an angry current. Tearing through the memories like a fierce blade. No one would ever hear her plea, not unless there was something worth fighting for. Someone to save. For her to be saved.

By someone, who truly cared.

A scream ripped from Y/n's throat as she flew up from her bed, her elbows wobbling as she held herself up and hunched over. Whether it was luxurious beds, or a blanket over hardwood; neither could subdue the terrors. She slipped a silent 'thank you' to Tony for sound proofing everybody's bedrooms.

She rubbed at her tear soaked eyes before turning to her clock on the nightstand, revealing it to be a ripe 6:04. She let out a shaky breath and frowned at the empty spot on the other side of her bed, reaching out and wringing her fingers at the sheets.

If only he stayed.

She pushed herself off the mattress and hung her legs off the side, staring down at the cushiony bed beneath her.

This was definitely a first.

With one last sigh, she hauled herself off the bed and trudged to her closet, plucking a pair of workout shorts and a tank-top from the shelves and changing into them. After freshening up in the bathroom, she quietly exited her room and made her way towards the elevator, reveling in the solitude of the early morning.

That quickly changed however, when the sound of low grunting and the jab of the leather punching bag echoed from the gym as soon as she stepped out of the elevator.

Y/n hesitantly approached the entrance, teetering on the idea of simply leaving whoever it was alone, and retreating back to her room.

That was, until she heard the familiar voice, cursing low under his breath as he took a gulp from his water bottle.

"Guess the movie didn't have enough action for your liking."

Bucky casted a short glance in the direction of the familiar voice, returning his attention back to the bag. "Jus' wanted to let you sleep."

Y/n watched as Bucky grumbled to himself, irritated when the bag swung around after each punch. Clearly, he hadn't chosen the one that was "super-soldier proof."

She ignored his glare when stood on the other side of the bag, firmly gripping it with both of her arms and giving him a nod.

Bucky raised his fists back up and began jabbing at the bag, finally able to throw in small combinations now that the bag wasn't flailing about from each hit.

"You could've stayed." Y/n commented.

"It's fine." He paused for a quick moment. "My room was just across the hall anyways."

She shrugged. "I don't mind the company."

He continued to throw a few hits to the bag, before landing one last swing, nearly knocking Y/n off her feet. She pushed herself forward in order to resist the momentum, and looked at him, startled.

"You could've gotten yourself killed, you know." He said as he took a sip of water, slamming it down onto the bench. "You should've taken me with you."