Chapter 1- Another Day

Start from the beginning

     "Squirt?" Edmund scoffed, taking one of the crates from James and fastening to a bicycle. "He barely had two years on me! " taking a second, he huffed again. "I'm a King! I've fought wars, and... and I've led armies... and-"

  "And you're starting to sound like Peter." Smirked the blonde, teasingly.

  "I do not!" Edmund protested as he fastened the third crate to the bike.

  Lucy replied, wisely, to these statements. "Anyway, none of it happened in this world."

"Obviously not." James mumbled. If any of it had happened in this world, then Caspian would be with them too. Then James may not be so upset.

    It pained to speak of Narnia. That was why they danced around the idea of another world. None of them could bare it, least of all James.

     "Yeah," scoffed Edmund. "Instead I'm stuck here doing battle with Eustace Clarence Scrubb. If anyone so deserved a name."

  Despite his light laughter, James managed to say. "Don't be cruel. He didn't choose his name."

  "He could change it, still."

  As they spoke, Lucy had sort of lost focus, and was staring into the distance. It was confusing. Then, she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, almost dreamily. It were as if a handsome Prince were in front of her, expressing his love. James knew the feeling all too well.

     "What are you doing?" Edmund questioned, and Lucy quickly looked up, flustered.

  "Nothing." She shook her head, as if it would change the past. She grabbed the handles of the bicycle and swiftly moved away. "Come on, then."

  Edmund and James faced each other, definitive confusion being left with them. "What the bloody hell was that about?" Asked the eldest, but his younger brother just shrugged.

  "I have no idea."

     The stroll home wasn't too awful. Well, it wasn't home. It wasn't even London. It was their Aunt Alberta and Uncle Harold's house. Although it was a fairly nice place to live, it wasn't their lovely place in Finchley. He missed it more than he could say.

    However, the stroll home was fairly calming. Lucy walked slightly ahead of her brothers for the most part, but it gave James the chance to reprimand Edmund for his attempt to go to war.

     "What were you thinking?"

  "It's not your choice what I do." Edmund rolled his eyes, readjusting his cap. He was at that age... you know how they get.

  "No, but maybe if you tell me what you were thinking, I can understand why you would be so stupid."

  James' words stung a little, but always rang truth. At them, the younger Pevensie sort of shrank a little. "Sorry."

  "If you want to fight, then do it at school." The blonde attempted to reason. "At least you're not going to die there. I don't want to go through the same thing Alfie's going through."

  "Yeah..."

  "I'm sorry." James said, honestly. "I shouldn't be so harsh on you."

  "Peter would be worse." Edmund joked.

  The eldest smiled, knowingly. "Yeah, he would."

     They reentered the Scrubb household, and Lucy was first through the door. She left Edmund with the bicycle as she carried the bags, and James held the crates. They carried through to the hallway.

  "I'm home. Hello!"

     The radio was on, but not overly loud so that a reply would be unexpected. Their Uncle Harold didn't like them very much. He was reluctant to have them in his home, and clearly, the Pevensie's were too different.

     "Hello, Uncle Harold?" James saw the man sat behind a large newspaper, and he turned the page, ignoring Lucy completely. It was so very infuriating. "I tried to find some carrots, but all they had were turnips again. Shall I start making soup? Aunt Alberta's on her way home."

  When once again he said nothing, James took off his coat, and with a frustration in his voice, gritted his teeth. "Uncle Harold." 

  Edmund, from beside James after hanging up his own coat, stuck his tongue out. Unfortunately, none of them knew that Eustace was stood behind them in the stairs. "Father! Edmund's making faces at you!"

  The black haired boy turned to face his cousin, and a spitball hit his neck. James sniggered as his brother ran up the stairs. "Why, you little..." he pulled back for a punch.

  "Father, he's going to hit me."

  Thankfully, for Edmund, Lucy cut him off. "James, Edmund, look!" She stepped over to them, and held up a white envelope. "It's from Susan."

  Sorrowfully, James looked up. "Is there anything from Alfie?" Her head shook, and his heart sank past his shins. "Alright."

• - - •
1404
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!!
I don't own anything to do with the Narnia book series or film trilogy. These predominantly belong to C.S. Lewis. However, I do own James Pevensie, Alfie and Harvey Gallagher, and their respective alterations to the storyline.