Chapter 1: The Other Avatar

(Aura Huoyàn above)

--------------------------------------------------

Earth. Fire. Air. Water.

When I was a child, my tutor, Fire Lord Izumi, told us the story of how he and his friends heroically ended the Hundred Year War. Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko transformed the Fire Nation colonies into the United Republic of Nations, a society where benders and non-benders from all over the world could live and thrive together in peace and harmony. They named the capital of this great land Republic City.

Avatar Aang accomplished many remarkable things in his life, but sadly, his time in this world came to an end. And like the cycle of the seasons, the cycle of the Avatar began anew. Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world.

And that's how I got thrown half of the fate of the world on my shoulders.

On a cold morning of February, the Royal Palace, in the Fire Nation Capital, was in turmoil. This day was a special day. In fact, it was the nineteen birthday of the youngest son of Fire Lord Izumi, Dorian, who was currently nowhere to be found in the palace, despite all the castle guards searching for him everywhere.

At the same time, on the highest tower of a building near, four young adults were hanging out, having a lot of fun. There were one young woman and two teenagers, with clothes that showed their different cultures, and a young man.

"Frankly Dorian, I don't understand how you find funny to disappear early on the morning, and worry everyone in the castle," said one of the teen girls on a disapproving tone, sitting on the edge of the low wall surrounding them. She had short messy dark brown hair, half tied in a small ponytail, light brown skin, and electric blue eyes. She had warm clothes in differents shades of blue on her, typical of the Water tribes members, and a small brunette leather pouch hanging at her side. She was the youngest and the shortest of the group, but pretty tall compared to average people.

"Mau, sweetheart, stop acting as his mom, he already have one," said the second girl, the second younger in the group but the tallest, who was wearing Airbender clothes, with a hood and a long yellow scarf wrapped lazily around her neck, most of it hanging behind her. She also short dark brown hair, shorter than the first, hanging loose, golden eyes, and peach coloured skin; on her forehead was drawn the stick of a sky-blue arrow. She was leaning on the wall, near the young man, and was holding a chocolate brown staff.

She had a big smirk on her face, and winked at the Water tribe girl, who rolled her eyes in irritation, before raising her hand, making water coming out of her pouch and she directed it at the other's head. The Airbender dried herself and shot a glare at her friend, who ignored it.

"Okay girls, we're not here to fight," the woman intervened quickly. "Aura, you've got to watch what you say, and Mau, love, you can't splash everyone who tease you."

"You shouldn't bother Azumi, we all know that Airhead here is a lost cause," the young man said playfully, elbowing Aura on the side, as she glared at him, patting the spot where he hit her.

He was almost as tall as her, and looked a lot like his grandfather at the same age, minus the scar. He had Fire Nation royal clothes, and a small crown holding his hair in a short bun.

"Shut up Fancy Shoes. If it wasn't for me, you'd be still trapped in your room, forced to prepare for 'mama's birthday party' she threw for you," Aura retorted snarkily, walking to the door giving to the stairs, and opened it, still looking at her friends. "By the way, we should get back, before Block-brains find u —"

She bumped into a woman taller than her, causing her to smile awkwardly, knowing they would all be in trouble.

The newcomer had short black hair, longer on a side, hiding one of her mint green eyes. She was wearing clothes showing her belonging to the Earth Kingdom, under a forest-coloured cape. She was the personal guard of Dorian, and was very strict and cold with his three best friends.