Chapter 8 [unedited]

[Vincent's POV]
From my earliest memory, I was hated
before even doing anything.

Outcasted, abandoned and neglected. I knew and the servants knew. I was a target for their frustration with nobility and status which mercilessly was taken out on me. Bruises, deep cuts and malnutrition was not unusual.

Although I don't have a many memories of that time, there was a nanny whom cared for me, she would tell me —as I laid on her bosom— of the goodwill and kindness many people have, "One day when you venture out into the world, you'll see all sorts of acts of kindness."I clearly remember the feeling of her red hair strands that were the colour of a wilted rose in my palm. I did not believed her words—sure perhaps she was kind, but many more alike her? I doubted it.

No, I refused to believe her and as if fate was furthering my assumptions, that nanny, whom I don't even remember the name of, was fired due to the slip of a hand while preparing tea for the marquis, my father.

I had quickly lost the only person who cared for me, worried about my health, my bruises I'd get from the servants and my loneliness, but I had lost her so powerlessly.

As I grew I worked hard in my skills and was considered a prodigy. Despite that I barely gotten any recognition from my father and because of so my two older brothers would 'put me in my place' routinely. Occasionally the marquis would give me "responsibilities" he called them which could be regarded as tasks. One of them was to become friends with the 2nd prince whom was also a genius and close in age of me. I hated him. He was too perfect—even artificial like. He always had a light smile on his face, calm under any situation. His talent was far above mine yet I was the only one who was worthy of a competition despite losing each time in everything. Chess, sword play, strategy comparison, interpreting emotions, musical ability and much more.

He was perfect, regardless my father wanted me to be better. Better than perfect was only enough for my 'precious' father. I tried and failed numerous amounts of times, my nose would bleed, I had bags under my eyes and my movements were sloppy yet I continued. Perhaps at the time I was craving for parental love that was until I met Salvia.

It was then that I knew the meanings of that nameless nanny's absurd words, "One day when you venture out into the world, you'll see all sorts of acts of kindness." Salvia despite her small figure stood up for a slums boy being bullied by two teenagers. Originally I planned on watching however when the two teenagers began to flirt with a young girl I immediately kicked the back of their kneecaps causing them to fall and then pounced on the teenagers beating them up evenly—both black and blue.

She smiled brightly while helping the slums boy from the ground, he thanked her and ran off. After that, she introduced herself, "Salvia." Awestruck I quickly came up with a commoner name—Seth.

Eventually Seth had become a part of me, not a simple alias. I liked being Seth whom was a commoner boy with a loving family, a close friend named Salvia whom had a dog who always tagged along and a pure child without blemish from the impurities of the darkening world. He was so different from Vincent. Vincent who was hated, who had not a friend, but a 'responsibility' and who was already aware of the impurities, already affected by the darkened world. I liked being Seth specifically because he was not me.

*
*
*

"I'm going to an event hosted by the viscount Saunet.."

Why? You never liked to leave the house unless necessary. Why are you even responding my question? Why are you not scolding me for being in commoner attire? What about my carelessness that caused me to run into you?

Lilius was the 3rd son of the Marquis, I have never interacted with him. I had eventually come to ignore him and he did the same, yet I couldn't be more surprise of his sudden declare to erratically leave. I mean, why would he?