Apart from Rei, Sana was probably the only person that knew who Shoto Todoroki really was. They'd grown up together. She'd been by his side during his lowest moments and vice versa. Sana knew all of his weaknesses just as he knew her's. She'd seen the kindness Shoto kept tucked away behind a wall of ice, the quiet passion that burned within his chest. A fire that hadn't been lit by Shoto's father, but in an ironic twist, his mother. A roaring flame that fueled his desire to do good, to be a better man than the poor example he'd been made to follow.

But now there was a chasm separating the two childhood friends. A gaping wound that neither knew how—or on his part, willing—to repair.

Months had passed since Shoto had last spoken to her. Without their weekly training sessions, Sana had been forced to prepare for U.A's recommendation exam alone. She'd seen the dual-haired male in passing during the tests, but he'd coldly brushed her off every time she'd tried to approach him or offer words of encouragement.

"Great. My first day of high school and I have no friends." Sana pouted, brushing imaginary wrinkles out of her teal skirt as she worried over her reflection one last time. She chose to leave her hair down, but packed a ribbon just in case she needed to tie it back later. This should be fun. She scooped up her backpack on her way downstairs, tossing a strap over her shoulder.

At the head of the dining table reading the newspaper was her father. As expected, his pale salmon hair was styled perfectly with a few gray hairs lining his temples. The full plate of food in front of him sat untouched. The light streaming through the floor-to-ceiling windows cast a glare on his rectangular frames, making his expression unreadable. Sana took a deep breath before taking her seat at the table. Yoichi spared her a glance, clearing his throat to get her attention.

"So, today's the day, huh." It was a statement, not a question.

"Yes, sir." Sana answered, avoiding his icy blue eyes and picking at her breakfast. Chocolate chip and banana pancakes, her favorite growing up. They were even arranged into a happy face on her plate. Umi, the head maid of the house, obviously wanted to celebrate the joyous occasion.

"My little firefly is going to be a hero!" She'd told anyone who would listen for the past month. Umi's endless love for a child that wasn't her's to care for had always taken Sana by surprise. Maybe because she wasn't accustomed to openly receiving affection.

Not anymore, that is.

"Kids these days have such foolish aspirations, don't you think?" He scoffed, picking up where he'd left off reading. "Heroes," he said with a condescending laugh, a finger to his lips. "People parading around in ridiculous costumes, calling each other childish names." His hand fell, revealing an empty, practiced smile; the only one she'd ever seen him wear, even in rare family photos or during his numerous appearances on TV. "They're only trying to make themselves feel more important than they actually are."

Just like you, she wanted to say. Sana swallowed her anger, her knuckles turning white as she tightened her grip on her silverware before forcing herself to relax.

"They're tacky and distasteful, yet you insist on ruining my reputation by chasing a pipe dream." Yoichi lectured, shaking his head in shame. "I thought I'd raised you better. But if setting yourself up for failure is the only way for you to accept your place in this world, then so be it." Sana lowered her head and pushed her chair away from the table to stand. His sharp gaze followed her retreating figure. "Leaving already?" He gestured towards her abandoned plate. "You've hardly touched your meal."