Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Where did Deo find him?"

"Harry had a hidden crevice in his room that he created when he wanted to be alone. Deo knew about it because he helped Harry build it. Thank god Deo knew about it, or Harry might not be here today."

"Oh my god...what happened next?"

"Deo fell to the ground and we rushed both Harry and Deo to the hospital. The house was burned to the ground. Everything was gone. At the hospital, we discovered that Harry suffered from third-degree burns and the doctors told us that if Harry had been in there a little longer, the smoke would have killed him."

There is a long moment of silence.

"You know how my dad's Chicago's chief investigator, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, after Harry and Deo both left the hospital, my dad went to the scene to do some investigating. What he found there shocked us all."

"What did he find?" I say.

"In the mailbox, far from the house, was a note."

"A note?"

"Yep, but it wasn't just any note. It was a suicide note."

"What?!"

"From Harry."

I cover my face with my hands as I burst into tears.

"The entire fire, everything was a suicide attempt. Harry tried to kill himself that day."

"Are you serious?!"

"Yes, this was before we knew about Harry's mood swings. He didn't have any medication for it yet, so he was very bipolar. Harry thinking he would be spending his birthday alone triggered it."

"Do you know what his note said?"

"If you don't know already, I want to know everything about everyone. I know a lot of the information I tell you from eavesdropping on other's conversations, mostly those of my parents."

"Okay..."

"Anyways, I was listening in on my dad when he read Harry's suicide note. I can't remember much of what it said, but one line stuck out in my mind and I still remember it."

"What was it?"

A long moment of silence.

"Greed is what kills."

I look down at the table as I think of the reason for Harry's parent's death. They died because Liam wanted expensive shoes. It was Liam's greed that killed them. Greed is what kills. Harry burned down the expensive mansion because it was filled materialistic possessions. Possessions acquired from greed. Harry was stuck in a community of greed. Everyone he knew was rich and wanted more and more, Louis had a gold Lamborghini! Harry attempted suicide in a mansion because he wanted to die in a place of greed to show that greed is what kills.

"I know what you're thinking," Stephanie says, "and I know. Harry and his symbolism."

She smiles through tears and I smile back.

"So," Stephanie begins, "my dad told us all to swear to never tell anyone about why the Styles' mansion burned to the ground. The mansion remains a town mystery that only we know about and if the general public find out, he can be arrested for the destruction of the house and be sent to prison."

"I think I have heard of a mansion mysteriously burning to the ground here in Chicago."

"Yep, that's it. But you absolutely cannot tell anyone. I feel like I can trust you Emily. It's just so hard for me to keep secrets."