Chapter Nineteen

If you've read this far into my story, it probably means you like it and I want to give you a big hug because I love you so much. <3

------------------

The nurse is staring at me with restless eyes. She is a thin African-American woman with black hair.

I'm sitting in a waiting room. I'm alone with her. I've been here since they took him into the emergency room. I should have left by now, but something is holding me here. I'm not sure what it is.

"Can you at least tell me what happened? What's wrong with him?" I say.

"We're still doing tests. His blood pressure was through the roof, which was what caused him to pass out. It was caused by stress."

"Oh."

"While you're still here, I need you to answer some questions. Emily, right?"

The woman sits in a chair next to me with a pen attached to a clipboard.

"Yes." I respond.

"What is your relationship to...uh...Niall? Are you his friend? Sister? Girlfriend?"

"Uh...friend."

"Okay and the boy also left me a strict request not to tell anyone that he is in the hospital. Have you told anyone?"

"No I haven't. So he's awake?"

"Not at the moment. But he was at one point."

"Oh, okay. Good." I say.

"So can you tell me exactly what happened to him before you brought him here?"

I look down at the floor. I can't tell her what actually happened. Zayn could be arrested and prosecuted for putting Niall in the hospital.

"I don't know. I was with him and he said he was hurting and needed to go to the hospital and when I was about to bring him in, I opened the door and he fell out of the car."

The nurse places her clipboard in her lap and stares at me with disbelief.

"You're lying to me. Now tell me what happened," she says.

My heart rate is building and I'm starting to breathe really hard.

"I...I'm telling the truth."

"Emily, it is impossible to think that boy wasn't assaulted by someone. I need to know if you saw or know who did it."

"I...I don't know what you're talking about."

"If you don't tell me what happened, then I'll get the police to question you."

I swallow hard and look away from the woman as my eyes fill with tears.

"I...It's just...can you not question Niall?"

"He's already been questioned, but the investigators need an outside witness to confirm the lead."

"But...I..."

"Emily!"

"I can't!"

"Why not?! Nothing will happen to you!"

"You don't know that! I don't want to be involved!"

"Why do you have to be so difficult? I think I'm gonna lose my mind!"

"Isn't there some law where I can refuse to speak?!"

The nurse closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

"...yes," she sighs.

"Yeah, I thought so."

"But don't you want to help your friend? Don't you want to imprison whoever did that to him?"