tutorial distractions- neville

It was a regular occurrence for you and Neville to find yourselves hunched over textbooks in the library. He found his dorm room far too busy to try and get some studying done in there and you were quite frankly, just happy to be wherever he was, not needing to make much of a fuss to dive into your books. What was, however, a new development, was Neville tutoring you in herbology. You'd fallen behind slightly after spending most of your time on the more demanding subjects, allowing herbology to take the backseat for far too long. Neville was the one to suggest a little tutoring session once a week, knowing that you'd never ask for fear of him thinking you're merely taking advantage of your boyfriend who always excelled in the subject due to his love for creatures and plants.

"Ahh, so, this is the chapter that I was talking about this morning," Neville noted with an almost excited smile, finger moving over the page slowly as he read through the content closely, wanting to decipher what was most important for you to know for your essay, eyes almost sparkling as he sifted the information as if it was his first time reading about it.

"What's the chapter about, my love?" you breathed with a small smile of your own as you leaned onto the table in an attempt to see the title. "The flutterby bush?" you whispered, with a little confusion tilting into your brows. "Oh gosh, Nev, that sounds completely made up. Have we talked about that in class?"

"Everything is made up, petal," he mused with a little laugh as he saw how puzzled you were. "We definitely talked about it in class, but if I remember correctly, you were very worried about the potions test you were writing the next period, you were skimming your notes," he reminded you and you nodded, feeling silly now as the test wasn't difficult at all, not really warranting you being mentally absent in class. "Don't worry, Y/n, I know it's a lot of work, but it's nothing you've not heard me ramble about before," he joked, sensing the shift in your mood as he bumped your shoulder lightly to grab your attention.

"Alright," you smiled, shuffling closer to him as you stole another glance at the page he was reading before. "I don't think I remember you talking about the flutterby though."

"Well," he began, closing the book to turn and look at you, hands gently folding around your own as you waited for him to begin. "I read something in the daily prophet this morning. They say that they've discovered a new variant of it, it seems to be making quite the impact on the wizarding world, all aspects of it really, it's quite unbelievable since the last variant of it was discovered when Professor Lupin was still a student here at Hogwarts."

You knew what you were doing, of course, knowing that once he got started it would be far too long before he would stop, excitement getting the better of him as he delved into the multiple ways the flutterby bush was affecting the wizarding world and the many ways in which he was very excited to see the change it would bring. He noticed your lips tilting into a smile, not being foolish enough to think you were truly interested in the conversation at hand, far more interested in the rise of his voice, the little huffs of air that he took between mumblings. He knew you needed a minute to breathe from all the studying you'd been doing today, and he was happy to oblige, offering his arm as your hands surrounded his wrist, chin resting against the top of his arm as you looked at him.

"Neville," you smiled, gently moving the sleeve of his shirt to place a kiss on the pale skin, the small gesture instantly prompting him to stop talking. "I don't think anyone knows as much about this as you do," you noted looking up at him through your eyelashes.

"Hmm," he smiled, lifting a hand to your cheek, thumb nimbly brushing your hair behind your ear. "You ready to look at another chapter, or would you rather me mumble about some more?"

"I could listen to you mumbling about forever, Nev," you admitted, leaning into his delicate touch as he laughed lightly.

"I'm sure you could, petal, but we need to get some more work done, can't have you failing herbology because you were daydreaming about me," he mused, though the cocky act was cut short when the faintest blush tinted his cheeks.

"I'm sure they'd reconsider if they knew that my boyfriend is remarkably distracting. I mean he's cute and smart and his voice-" you shuddered playfully, enjoying the instant smile the action prompted to his lips.

"Oh, hush now, you won't flirt yourself out of studying," he paused to look down at the little pout you'd offered him. "It won't work, no matter how adorable you look," he laughed, and you sighed, giving in as you leaned forward to place a quick kiss on his lip.

"I love you," you breathed against his lips, free hand already moving to open the textbook as he released a shaky breath as well.

"I love you too, even when you're a little minx," he scoffed, stopping you from pulling away as a hand snaked around your waist, nodding when you gave him a questioning look. "A few more of those won't do any harm," he explained, brushing his nose against yours as you giggled. "Just a few," he whispered before connecting your lips with his once again.