the lakes- geralt

~.~.~

Roach had barely settled his steps when you jumped down to the ground, Geralt haphazardly reaching forward to help you down, gripping you by your wrists as he did so, eyes searching desperately for yours while yours avoided him completely, scared to reveal what he had already known. You had tried the best you could to hide it, but he heard it, of course, the tumble in your heart, the soft sniffs you thought to be disguised by Roach's walking, but you were against him, body melted against his, he felt the soft tremors that flooded your nerves and it took everything in him not to stop along the way.

He pulled back once your feet met the ground without a stumble, your crying only becoming louder as you ran to the stream, kneeling down to allow the water to soak away the remnants of your heartache. Geralt was fighting with himself, half convinced that he needed to go aid you in your struggles while also wanting to present you a moment without his presence. It was your frustrated groans that chose his way forward, Roach being tied to a tree as Geralt kneeled right at your side, shushing you as he took your bloodied hands in his own, holding them tightly in his, silently begging you to allow him to help you, you met his request as you leaned into him, head falling to his bicep as his fingers moved gently over your own to clear them of the dried crimson liquid.

"I'm afraid, Ger," you whispered after quite some time, hands still enclosed in his as he held them in his lap, being patient with you, despite himself, waiting for you to be ready to bare your heart to him.

"You need not be afraid, princess," he promised once again, a promise made in months leading up to the war, a promise made while you were tangled in his arms, listening to his heartbeat as it lulled you to sleep, a promise made as he pulled you from the burning palace and led you away from the ruins. "I will never allow any harm to be done to you, surely you know that?" he pondered, one hand lifting to your head where he guided your face up from his arm, a soft smile dipping into his lips when his eyes met yours.

"I do," you breathed and shifted slightly so you could still be close to him despite him prying you away from your hiding spot. "Just as I know there to be nothing you cannot face, but I cannot rid my heart of the weight weighing down on it," you sighed, fiddling with the sleeve as his shirt at you shook your head. "I have nothing left in this world aside from you, and the thought of losing you in pursuit of my own safety, it feels rather selfish."

"Do you think my actions to be lacking such?" he shook his head, scoffing lightly as your brows tilted down in confusion, not sure what he was insinuating. "I was set to leave this kingdom long before it was met with its fall, I don't belong and my beloved, neither do you," he explained, and you exhaled slowly when a nimble hand cupped your cheek. "I vowed to protect you not out of duty, nor honour, neither of which are characteristics that I believe to possess. I vowed my life to you because I'd rather meet my end than live in a world without you."

"Geralt," you breathed, guiding him back as you climbed onto his lap, hands falling carefully into his hair as you looked down at him, barely keeping yourself from breaking in front of him once again. "I do not deserve such sincerities, such promises of adoration that I'd never been shown before," you rested your forehead against his, grateful for the strong hands that held you in place, grounding you as you tried to arrange your thoughts.

"I do not deserve the honour of calling you mine, yet you have bestowed it upon me, despite who I am, what I am," he grunted when you tugged at his hair lightly, objecting to the notion of him being anything but perfect for you. "You started a war on my behalf, princess, allow me to protect you from it," his words held no evidence of a question, it was a gentle demand that you would have no choice but to allow as there was no talking your witcher out of anything once his mind had been set. "Fear not the future, nor the possibility of our impending doom, simply trust that my love for you would keep armies at bay."

"I trust you," you ensured him with a soft smile, closing your eyes to savour the warmth of his touch, the security of his arms as they held you impossibly close, making you part of him as his breathing sifted through your body, waves of comfort soaring through you.

~.~.~