CHAPTER 14: Family

The door slit smoothly open between them .

The two of us stood, still embraced and agaped, as the fabulous women standing before us. She was in no doubt the prettiest woman we have ever seen,  eyes deep blue like the bluest oceans of water, thick crimson lips and distinctly flushed face, probably from arguing with Grandpa. She herself was surprised to see us there, as her elegant finger continues to be pointing, not in a very elegant way.

"You... WERE YOU EAVESDROPPING!?"

I was too stunned to speak, but Aniki managed to recover from it and dragged us away from her. 

I could feel him cowering away from her.

Odd.

"No... no, no we weren't... Don't mind us."

Her protruding blue eyes pinned at us and sent a paralyzing shiver down to my fingertips, and my numb fingers, clinging onto Aniki's sleeves, could sense his hand going cold as well. My whole body was paralyzed as Aniki lunged me up the stairs.

She persisted her stare on us until we vanished by the corner.

"W... who is she, Aniki?"

He said as we slumped down on the steps of the second floor. Aniki's hands were still wrapped around my neck as I sat on his lap, my hands hugging my backpack.

Trembling. 

His breathing had slowed down, and his touch was warmer than what I felt just minutes before.

He'd calmed down.

Thank god.

I've never seen him so terrified.

And that makes me terrified as well.

But all he did was mumbling.

"Aniki. Aniki! Wake up!" I said as I broke out of his hug and slap his cheeks together. "Wake up now!"

His dreamy pupil snapped back into its usual sharpness.

 "Wa.. Shinae!"

"Yup. So can you explain what happed earlier please?"

"What happened.. Oh.. um. She was just a..."

"A..?"

" An acquaintance. Yes, an acquaintance."

"Acquaintance?" 

"Yes..."

No. Not an acquaintance.

He had never even... He hadn't stammered like that in front of anyone before.

A mere acquaintance could never do that.

"You sure?"

"Of course."

I looked at him again and whispered under my breath, head held low. "I don't think so."

"What?"

"No... nothing..."

.

I was right.

She wasn't a mere acquaintance.

She was our mother.

We continued sitting in Aniki's bedroom until Grandma called our name and asked us to go to the living room.