Chapter 28

Sierra

"This kind of rich people are nasty," I say, lifting my head to the rain. I shouldn't get sick now. Not with a baby inside of me, but I do love feeling the rain hit my skin.

Atlas twirls me around, pulling me in shortly after. His arms wrap around my neck before he plants a kiss to the top of my head.

"I agree."

"Can you believe they expect their spouse to have affairs?" I turn around in his arms, looking up at him. "How can they be cool with sharing their spouse?"

He shakes his head. "Not a clue, sweetheart."

And I know he doesn't. Because despite what the people inside of the restaurant may think, Atlas wouldn't cheat on me. He loves me. He'd cut off both of his hands before ever touching another woman intimately.

"I would stab you if I found out you are cheating on me."

Atlas brushes my lips with his. "I'd never," he whispers, the kisses me again to seal his promise. Not that he had to promise it since I already know he wouldn't.

"One of the wives said being in love is your weakness," I tell him, needing Atlas to tell me that's not true.

But to my horror, he shrugs. "People sure could blackmail some money out of me."

My forehead creases. "How?"

Threaten to hurt you if I don't pay up and such. But don't worry about it, sweetheart. No one dares blackmailing me. They all know it'd backfire."

As we're waiting for our limousine to arrive, I find myself watching couples that pass us. I'm not envying either of them, I have a perfectly good relationship of my own. But there is something I do miss.

Sometimes, it's not always, rarely even, I think back to the time when it was just Atlas and me. The time before Allie.

Our life together was easier, I'd say. We could do whatever we wanted and didn't have to care about children running around the house.

We could stay in bed all day if we wanted to.

But then again, if it weren't for Allie, Atlas and I would've never happened.

I lean my head against Atlas's shoulders, a soft sigh escaping me. I didn't mean for it to leave me, but it did. And naturally, it caught my husbands attention. "What's wrong, sweetheart?"

"Do you think we'd be together if it weren't for Allie?" I ask, following it up by, "If you say no, I won't get offended. I promise. I'm aware of our different statuses back then, so don't hold back, okay?"

He looks down at me, gathering his thoughts for a second before he says, "I think so, yes."

"You do?"

He nods. "Sierra, you keep forgetting that Cody and I were friends long before we got to know each other. Eventually, we would have met. Even outside of the office. He couldn't possible hide you from me forever."

"But you were my boss. I know me saying this annoys you, so I apologise for it. Anyway, you still think we would've found together?"

Atlas chuckles, bobbing his head. "Sweetheart, the moment I laid eyes on your for your interview to work at Storm's Holdings inc. I couldn't get you out of my head. You seemed so familiar, yet I couldn't quite tell where I've known you from. If it weren't for my no-co-worker-relationship-policy at the office, I would've talked to you straight away."

"But you did have said policy. Nothing would've changed, even if we met somewhere because of Cody."

"Uh-huh. But I was working on getting rid of said policy when I realised I couldn't stay away from you much longer."