Chapter Fourteen

Day Trip Part One - Chapter Fourteen

I blinked a few times adjusting to the harsh lighting. I had fallen asleep in a random tent last night, I twisted in the blankets and stretched. The clothing that Bellamy had given me fit me perfectly. There was a tight black long sleeve and green cargo pants. I was still barefooted, the chilling air nipping at my toes. He had also given me some sort of bomber kind of style rain coat.

I swung me feet off the edge od the bed, they collided with something. I furrowed my eyebrows and bent forward. Someone had brought me my boots and socks, I slipped them on and walked out of the lonely tent.

People were already working, I felt happier now that I had gotten some rest. I smiled as I walked around camp, trying to find something to do. I spotted Monty and Jasper at the rations station. I skipped along towards them, I called out to them and both of them looked my way.

"Someone's awfully chipper." Monty laughed.

I chuckled and joined them, my long hair falling onto my shoulders. "I had a nice sleep, what can I say?"

"Hmm, I saw you yesterday with Bellamy." Jasper whispered, cheekily wiggling his eyebrows.

I scoffed and rolled my eyebrows. "So, I can't have a civilized conversation?"

"It didn't look like a civilized conversation..." Monty mumbled, I slapped him playfully in the arm.

I put fifteen nuts into each small ration packet, watching everyone else before doing so. It was an easy process; stuff, close and place it in a container. I had done at least twelve packets I started to feel my stomach grumbling. I glanced over at Monty, who seemed to be at the head of the station.

"Go ahead, just a few." Monty told me.

Gleefully smiling I popped a few into my mouth, crunching them between my teeth. Swallowing I popped some more into my mouth, they tasted good and the grumbling in my stomach faded away.

I grabbed the sorted out beans and stuffed them in yet another packet. I threw the silver packet in the bin across the makeshift table and smiled when it sunk along with the others.

"What do you think they're going to do to the Grounder?" Jasper asked, my mood dropped.

The Grounder, the cause of all my problems. Images of memories of yesterday flashed through my mind, the hardest one sticking there. I replayed the moment over and over again, Clarke slapping me across the cheek with despair in her eyes. Frowning I slowly put more beans into another packet, I tossed for the bin but missed by a few inches.

"Mood killer." I told Jasper, glancing at Bellamy who was walking with his hands in his pockets.

"How long until his friends come looking?" Jasper added, licking his lips.

"Cheer up," Monty pushed Jasper a bit, catching him off guard. "In that time we'll be dead by hypothermia anyways."

I stopped what I was doing and glared at Monty, "That's not funny." I say even though I have a smile on my face.

"Come on, it was a joke." Monty says to me, he picks up a nut and throws it into Jasper's mouth.

I laugh as they do this funny hand shake thing in celebration, they both look over to me. We laughed and I felt a little better, maybe I should hang around these two more often.

We finished all the nuts, I grabbed the last packet and threw it into the bin with success. Laughing I clapped Monty's and Jasper's hands before moving the bin over to the others. I parked it in place, someone opened the bin beside me.