Chapter 3

Veronica's POV-

I hear a rap on the window as Gladio and I continue talking, cutting me off from what I was about to say. Prompto gets a goofy grin on his face before opening the door, hopping into the seat beside me. "Hey 'Ronny, you feeling any better? You don't mind if I call you that, do you?"

"I suppose not?" I respond, feeling a little bit of an embarrassed flush creep into my cheeks. "And I'm doing much better, thank you."

"Cool! Anyways, we plan to grab a bite to eat before heading out. Cid told us that Marshal Cor is going to be waiting for us at the tombs past the Prairie Outpost in the north. Noctis wants to do a hunt or two before then though, get some more gil so we don't go broke by accident. You're welcome to join us if you're feeling up to it, but we don't want to push you."

"The marshal is still alive?" I ask, to which the blonde nods. "That's good to hear. I was worried he may not have made it. I'll be good to go, but I'll be refraining from using my techniques unless absolutely necessary."

"Awesome, then let's go! We've got to introduce you to Cindy first, she's the one that fixes up the Regalia whenever we need it. I'm sure she'd love to meet you!"

"Aah... I don't know, Prompto," I respond, feeling a bit of nerves settle in my chest. "I'm not... really good at socializing."

"Whaaat?! But you talk with us just fine! Plus, how can you get info without talking to people? Don't you have some 'friends in high places' or something?"

"Please... don't do this, Veronica..."

I freeze as a memory begins to surface, my hands clenching around the fabric of my sleeves as I wrap my arms around myself. The world seems to blur a bit, the voices starting to ring in my ear, getting louder and louder with each passing moment.

"Why are you doing this?! I thought we were friends!"

"That woman is nothing but a vile serpent!"

"Torturer.."

"Demon.."

"MURDERER-"

"VERONICA!!!"

I gasp as I feel Gladio shaking my shoulders, my vision focusing on his face mere inches from mine. "S-sorry..." I say, holding a hand to my head. "I got lost in thought. Forgive me, perhaps I'll skip the meal and wait until you guys are ready for the hunt."

Gladio nods, but I notice the worry on his face as he opens the door. "Alrighty. Are you good with being by yourself then?"

I nod before turning to Prompto, who looks as if he's about to burst into tears. "I'm sorry, Veronica," he says, his voice trembling. "It's our first day meeting you, well for some of us, and I've already messed up twice-"

The boy cuts himself off as I rest a hand on his head, gently ruffling his hair as his eyes meet mine. "It's alright, I'm just fine," I respond, giving him a reassuring smile. "Really, it's been a stressful day for everyone. Let's not worry about the little things, and try to make the most of today, okay?"

Prompto looks at me with the cutest damn expression before nodding furiously, slipping out of the car as Gladio shuts his own door behind him. "Yeah, you're right. We'll probably be eating again after we're done anyways. You can't miss out on Ignis' cooking!"

I laugh a bit as he exits. "Trust me, I know. Now go on, I'll sleep for a little while longer. Wake me when you're ready to go on that hunt."

The blonde nods before shutting the door, and I can hear him chatting with Gladio as they walk away. I shift a bit to lay comfortably in the backseat, letting exhaustion take over once again as I close my eyes and slip into dreamland.

The sky is dark and starless, fog rolling in from the west end of the kingdom. The frigid air clings to my lungs like a child latches onto their mother's breast, and I watch my breath turn to ice as it is expelled from my lips. Draped in death's black garb, I walk ever so slowly towards my target, a man in his early twenties with his hands and feet bound to a metal chair.

I know him as my first. The beginning of this dark path I walk. The stain on my innocent life, the one who ended my purity.

"Why are you doing this?" He cries to me, agony dripping from his words as blood sputters from his mouth. "I thought we were friends!"

"We were," I reply, my voice dead and dreary. "You should have thought about that before trying to betray our king."

In the corner of my eye, I see a flash, and find another man strapped to a chair to my left just like the first one. His body was blackened and bruised, a crazed look in his eyes as he shifted his gaze to meet mine. "That woman is nothing but a vile serpent!" He spits, saliva flying as if accentuating his delve into insanity.

"You would be wise to keep your distance then," I reply. "Call me what you like, I will do whatever it takes for my king."

A flash to my right. A woman dressed in rags, bound just like the others. "Torturer..." she slurs, cuts littering her once delicate skin and what looks like rope marks around her neck.

"My blade does not discriminate," I simply reply. "Be it man, woman, or child. All will bow before my king."

A flash behind me. An elderly man covered in third degree burns and bullet holes littering his body, bound like everyone else. "Demon...!" he cries in a hoarse voice, the cross around his neck turning black at the mere mention of the word.

"Maybe I am," I reply. "But it is I who will dole out punishment for your sins. There is no God who can save you now."

The four begin to slowly rotate around my figure despite being held down, repeating those same phrases over and over again. The result is a chaotic mess of slurs and cries, agonizing screams echoing as their faces begin to change. Their voices change to those of my four new comrades, and soon I see their beaten and bloodied bodies in place of the originals.

Noctis. Ignis. Gladiolus. Prompto.

The screaming doesn't stop as I slowly cover my ears, unable to hide from their terror-filled expressions. Their screams become one as I shut my eyes, trying to close my heart to their suffering.

"Torturer..."

"Demon..."

"MURDERER."

My name is Veronica Bellevere, and killing is what I live for.

Killing is all that I know.