Chap. 23 - Tension at the family dinner

Start from the beginning

"With such a home, you must have a large family." she said, admiring the paintings on the walls.
The Princess laughed.
"Not at all." she said, waving a hand. "It's just my husband, me and my son here. Although, we do have quite the staff."
(Y/n) looked around. They were the only ones here as far as she could see.
"Where are they?" she asked.
"Why, in the kitchens of course. I told them to make the best feast in the land, and my husband's favorites." once again, she grew sadder. "Every year, I'm hoping it could bring him back."
"What do you mean?" Monkey asked, a bit more pressing this time. "Where is he?"
She sighed.
"Ever since we heard of what happened to you and your companions, he's been broken." she said. "Overcome with sadness, he secluded himself in one of our mountains. He never came out since."
"Pfff, yeah." Red Boy rolled his eyes. "Sad that it wasn't him who defeated that damn monkey."

"That makes sense," Monkey said, hearing the boy's words without acknowledging him. "we did promise we'd kill each-other in an epic battle that would shatter all three realms, along with reality itself."
'Seriously, what kind of relationship do you two have?!' (Y/n) thought, disturbed, as Red Boy just clicked his tongue and folded his arms.
"But Wukong!" Princess Iron Fan faced him, more determined. "I'm sure that, if you would just talk to him, he'd come back and be himself again!" she joined her hands together. "Would you do this for me, old friend?"
"Heh, come on now." he patted her shoulder and walked passed her. "Which mountain is it?"
"Uuuuh..." (Y/n) hesitated. "Monkey, are you sure about this?"
"Oh thank you Wukong! Right this way."
"You just talked about breaking reality just a moment ago." she continued as she followed them.
"Don't you worry (Y/n)." he waved a hand while still looking ahead. "I'll win for sure."
"It's not you I'm worried about!"
"No yeah, go ahead. I'm sure you'll be fine." Red Boy followed with a smile. "Not." he mumbled.
She gave him a weird look, still unable to figure out his age.
'He looks like an adult, but he sure doesn't act like one.'

They left the castle through the backward and the Princess pointed at a nearby mountain, and by 'nearby', I mean a dozen of kilometers away. From here, they could see the opening of a large cave, too dark to see inside. The Princess gave Monkey a worried but hopeful look. His smile grew bigger.
"You guys may wanna step back."
(Y/n) took a step back without question.
"*You* step forward, don't tell me what to do." Red Boy glared at him. "You're not my dad."
Monkey chuckled in anticipation and slowly inhaled, so deeply he had to lean back.
"Oi!!! You dumb cow!" he shouted so loudly, (Y/n) and Red Boy covered their ears. "Is this how I find you after years of emprisonnent?! What a joke you are!" he opened his arms. "Come out and face your mortal enemy! We got some unsolved business! Seems like I didn't kick your ass hard enough last time I saw you!"
Just then, there was an explosion, creating an earthquake from which (Y/n) almost fell over. Once stable again, she looked ahead. There was now a way bigger hole into the mountain, a giant bull demon with raggedy clothes stood there at what-once-was the cave's entrance.
"Sun Wukong!!!" he shouted at the top of his lungs, his voice echoing throughout the land, before charging head first.
"Darling!" the Princess exclaimed.

With a big manic smile, Monkey charged head first too. The two of them didn't slow down at any point and eventually, their skull came into contact. The impact created a powerful gust of wind. Princess Iron Fan seemed untouched by it, as in, her hair wasn't even moving because of it, so (Y/n) hid behind her. Red Boy however was swept off the ground and he would've flew away if (Y/n) hasn't caught his hand just in time, pulling him with all her weight so he'd be safe behind his mother too. Once the wind settled, the two of them let out a heavy sigh. He realized she was still holding onto his arm and quickly backed away.
"Ew! Don't touch me with your human hands!"
She frowned.
"You're welcome." she rolled her eyes before coming out from behind the princess' back.

There was now a giant crater in the middle of the land. In the center was Monkey and the Bull Demon King, blood dripping down their forehead but they seemed unfazed by this. They skulls were still touching and Monkey looked so tiny compared to him. Just when (Y/n) was growing anxious, the two sworn brothers burst out laughing, he grabbed Monkey and threw him in the air.
"Brother Monkey! Why aren't you dead yet?!"
"The only way you could kill me is with how lame you are!"
"Well now that you're here, I can finally tear you to shreds!"
"Not if I kill you first!"
They both laughed, they looked beyond happy. (Y/n) turned to the Princess, who was silently crying from joy.
"Are they just always like this?" she asked. "Threatening each-other like that?"
"They wouldn't have it any other way." she whipped a tear. "It just shows how pure their friendship is."
"Sure...Pure." she mumbled.
'At least they're happy.' she thought, a smile forming naturally on her face from looking at Monkey laughing.