5

As tradition in our little friend group, we arrived late to the party. The only reason it was a tradition was because Mindy and I always spent a long time getting ready, not our fault that everything looked good on us and we never knew what to wear. 

It didn't matter now but Scooter was still slightly annoyed at us because he had to sit for two hours and listen to us sing. 

I grab Mindy's hands and walk into the group of kids dancing, she slides her arms around my neck and I wrap my arms around her waist. We move in rhythm to the music, getting drunk on the music, even if we'd prefer to be drunk on other things. 

I notice Scooter and Rick walking back with drinks in their hands so I spin Mindy, my hand on the small of her back, leading her to the boys. 

"You are my lord and savior." I say to Scooter as I grab the cup from his hands. 

He smiles and winks at me, "Does that mean you'll be on your knees for me?" I laugh loudly and grab my stomach as I feel my abs form, I look back to Scooter with tears in my eyes. His smile still sits cockily on his face, "Worth a shot." 

I laugh again and bump my shoulder into his, "I hate you." 

He slings his arm across my shoulders, "Always." 

Mindy and Rick had left to go and dance, leaving Scooter and I alone. We had ended up wandering to some couch. We were the only ones sitting on it, which was shocking, but it was nice. 

I was watching everyone dancing, trying to remember what the people I recognized looked like when they were younger. It was pushing me further into the panic of my fear of aging. 

Scooter had probably figured out my train of thought so he had slid his still full cup on my empty one and put his fingers on the bottom of it, pushing it towards my lips, "Drink." He ordered. 

I opened my mouth and let Scooter pour the beer into my mouth. I ended up chugging the whole thing, and gagged, "Why do I drink beer? God, I hate it." 

"To get drunk." 

I point a finger at Scooter as I sink deeper into the couch, "Fair point." 

Some other kids had joined us on the couch, two boys and a girl. I lean over to look at them and I smile when I make eye contact with the girl, "Hey!" She yells at me from over the music. 

"Hi!" I yell back while waving at her. 

I feel Scooter lean so he can see the girl too. I look back to see him waving and smiling at the girl too. 

Nerd. 

"Do you guys smoke?" She asks. 

"Depends on what we're smoking." I yell back at her. She leans over and reaches in one of the boy's, who were in the middle of a conversation, breast pocket and pull a joint out of it. I smile even wider at the first glimpse of the joint, "Fuck, yeah we do." 

"James! Lighter!" She yells at the blonde boy sitting next to her. 

James reaches in his pocket and pulls out a lighter and hands it to her, "Don't yell at me, I'm literally sitting right next to you." 

The girl laughs and stands up, motioning for one the other boy to move away from me so she could sit right next to me. She puts the joint in her mouth and lights it, then she offers it to me, "I'm Jordan, by the way." 

I take the joint and take a hit, and I get the head rush that I crave so much, "I'm Jess, that's Scooter." 

I take another hit as the girl leans over so she's facing Scooter, "Hey Scooter, you're hot."