Chapter 13

"No, not that woman," Hermione whispered, her breath tickling the back of your head.

"I think my feet are clearly visible," Ron stated, his voice booming to your right ear.

Harry cleared his throat, his shoulders sliding the cloak on your head. "Well, just duck your head more, Ron. If you weren't so tall..."

"You know I can't control it!" Ron replied back, his anger seething because of how much he was straining his neck. "We've been in this position for the past twenty minutes, can't you just choose someone and get it over with?"

Hermione let out an annoyed sigh. "Ron, have a bit more patience. Y/n and I can't just be random women because we have to make sure they are a part of the right department we are looking for."

"How come Harry and I don't have to do much searching?"

"Because sadly you won't be questioned if you work at the department or not," you answered, feeling your chest tighten. "How much longer? I am feeling really anxious."

"Almost," Harry whispered, grabbing his wand from his sleeve. Since Harry was at the front of the four of you, he was able to pick and choose who to stun and nick the hair from. "I found a couple of people and they all seem to work at the department we're looking for. Is everyone ready?" He said the last statement like if he was begging someone to tell him not to go forward with the plan.

You placed a hand on his shoulder, gently pushing it forward so that he can curse them. Having his skin under your fingertips made you feel a flutter in your stomach. Any opportunity you got to touch him, to feel his skin underneath your fingers, was reminding you that friends don't yearn for the moment they can touch the other. With a jerk, you released your hand and nervously gripped your own wand. "Ready," you stated, your throat dry.

Harry mumbled a curse and four thuds followed it. The cloak was free from everyone's heads because the light breeze of the London air made your hair sway. You jogged towards one of the women on the ground, your hands already in her pockets, searching for an ID or any sort of identification.

Hermione was searching the other woman, this one was easier to ransack. She raised the ID in the air, signaling to the four of you that she can proceed to the other part of the plan. Harry raised his hand as well, the light bouncing off the reflective surface. Ron raised his too, a sorrow expression on his face.

"I don't want to rip his hair out," Ron said, frowning. "The man looks like he has wisps instead of hair."

You looked at Ron and couldn't help but laugh. Ron met your gaze too and chuckled. "Stop it, Y/n, I'm serious! What if he was growing it out and I just ripped it off him?" His smile followed his statement, and no one could help but mirror it.

Hermione smiled, glancing at Harry who was shaking his head while laughing. "Would you save Ron the trouble, Harry?"

Harry held the strands of hair from his man, the bottle of Polyjuice potion in his other hand. He got up from the ground in a swift motion, his shirt tightening across his chest. You felt like drool was coming out of your mouth. You looked back at Ron, ignoring the way your body was reacting to Harry's movements. Ron didn't pay attention to anything around him, his eyes glued to the face of the old man laid beside him, a sympathetic smile on his face.

You continued with your mission, undressing the woman with a pang of guilt. Her ID was securely in your pocket, along with Ron's old wand. Back at the Black's mansion, hours and hours of practicing with Harry floated in your mind. You grinned, remembering the shimmer in Harry's eyes as you perfected spells after two hours of complaining. You came back to the present as Hermione's curly puffy hair was growing and turning into a blonde color.

You grabbed the poly juice potion from Harry, spilled the few plucked hairs from the woman into the bottle and took a long gulp. Your stomach started to bubble, as if it was a cauldron. Your body shrunk and soon, after seeing how your skin was becoming freckled, you became the same woman that was lying on the ground.

"Let's go," Harry urged, his voice making his bulky figure seem less intimidating. He didn't change as much as Ron did: Harry took the body of a tall slender man, with black hair that matched his black beard. Ron, on the other hand, looked like a severely aged ginger man.

"God, Ron," you snickered, hoping there was a mirror around to show him. "You look like you... but eighty years in the future."

Everyone's heads looked at Ron and all chuckled.

"What? What, Hermione," Ron called, his face going red. "Do I look bad? I thought he was a handsome fellow, though he did live long.. well is living long?..."

Hermione grinned, tugging her silky hair to a tight bun, secured with a pen. "You look great, Ron. We should get going." She cast a spell with her wand, a concentrated look on her face. Ron turned even more red at Hermione's comment but he looked away to make sure no one caught it.

Harry was looking at you from afar, the woman you transformed into was not doing you justice. He still knew it was you though because the way you swing your arms when walking made it evident that it is you. He smiled, knowing that he can tell it was you with just the way you walked.

You held Ron's old wand tightly in your hand, the wood prickling your palm. The locket that was given to you by Dumbledore's will was safely tucked in your secret pocket in your pants. You haven't had time to truly inspect it- especially the engraving at the back of it. But you sensed a weird connection to it like an unhealthy attachment to a specific piece of clothing you never go a day without. You made a mental note to take time to see what the locket was all about.

Hermione led the group, her high heels calling against the cool floor. She opened the door, after a final sweep of the storage room the four victims were in. "Make sure to not speak to anyone unless spoken to." She took a deep breath. "Good luck and please don't try to get caught. We'll meet here in a few." With that statement, she opened the door and walked to the traffic jam of wizards and witches scurrying to the front of the ministry.

Your heart was pumping adrenaline instead of blood throughout your body. You took a shuddering breath and walked behind Hermione, your sweaty palms holding the wand like a lifeline. You felt Harry's presence beside you, gently placing his hand at the end of your back. You glanced at him, to only see his persona give you a small smile.

You felt a bit reassured as you swiped your identification card at the system, the voice of the woman welcoming you booming to the four walls. The four of you went separate ways to avoid suspicion and the mission started...