Chapter 19

Stepping off the train and into the waiting arms of my father was warming yet distant as it has always been with my father. The curt embrace and small cough indicating the uncomfortableness of the physical contact which separated our connection. I stood there on the train platform and beamed up at my father who looked me over and started the typical onboarding questions, "Wow, look at you. Have you been growing out your hair? How was the trip? No one gave you any trouble did they? I keep telling your mother that you should fly instead." I waved away his concerns, "No no! I'm fine dad! The train is always so relaxing and super pretty in the winter." He took my answers into consideration before looking past me, eyes narrowing, brows knitting together.

Following his gaze I find Kat holding our luggage while holding the stare. It was incredible tense and silent for probably too long. Bouncing over to Kat I hold onto one of his arms and start the introduction, "Dad, this is my boyfriend, Bakugou Katsuki." I tried to give an over emphasized smile but as per usual, my father had a stiff upper lip and a nasty stubborn streak. "I didn't realize he was coming as well." Tugging on his arm I started pulling my boyfriend towards the station exit, "Well his parents surprised me for my birthday and bought his ticket. Wasn't that nice?!" both of the men let out noises of bereavement. This was going to be a long holiday.

Kat stared out the back seat window, his irritation plainly on display. My father was no better, both hands on the steering wheel, any disruption in traffic hardening his grip and turning his knuckles white. As we made the journey home, I would awkwardly point out different childhood landmarks as we past them. "And here's where I went to elementary school, Dad do you remember that dorky play I was in in third grade?" "Oh course I do, you were the best damn one up there!" His emphasis on best made me cringe slightly and the snort from the back seat didn't help, "Come on! I was seven and played a very minor character, I don't think anyone was really all that great. I think you all liked it just cause we were little." "You were so perfect up there." My father smiled from the memory then narrowed his gaze as the lonely comment came from the back, "You still are".  

We past the last of the suburbs which had been built up lately before starting the last stretch into the snowy country side. The suburbs were an odd phenomenon. People tend to flock to them for the sake of unfounded safety or normalcy but then complain when their neck of the woods gets even the slightest bit overpopulated. As a kid I always longed to be part of a community of some sort, whether the ever encroaching suburbs or the back stabbing small town or even the wild inner city. I always wished for a place to belong, not like I didn't belong at home but I wanted something outside of the chores and babysitting, I wanted to be free from outside responsibilities. Look how that turned out, ha, being an adult is nothing but outside responsibilities and pressures. But I guess I would say that I do belong now. Looking into the back seat at the pensive stare of my boyfriend who was analyzing the barren farm fields outside his window, I smiled at him and thought of how I belong to him. I could feel my father's worried gaze on me so I turned forward again as we turned onto our long country driveway. My little childhood home sat waiting for me at the top of the hill. 

Not wanting to remain in the stuffy car for long while bubbling with anticipation for who was waiting inside, I quickly exit and rush to the other side of the car to get the door for Kat. He simply waved me off as he got out, "Go on Chako, I'll get the bags." I kissed him quickly, looking up into his eyes as I tried to ask permission without the words. Yes, I am home. Yes, I desperately want to hug my mother. But I needed to make sure this boy that I dragged with me was ok first. He chuckled and sighed, he kissed me tenderly, "I'm fine, I'll be right there." My father's door closed, but I didn't want to wait to hear what comment he had in store since I was already racing for the front door of my childhood home.

The utter sense of longing filled my lungs as I took in the familiar sight of my entry way. I loved that everything was exactly the same as a year ago. Everything from the placement of the rug to each picture littering the wall that will forever need a good dusting to the nail scratches in the hard wood from when our dog discovered a squirrel in the den. Then came the rushed thudding of feet and I braced myself with arms open wide as my little brothers and sister came screaming into my arms and in the process barreling me over. 

"YOURE HOME YOURE HOME YOURE HOME!!!!" squeezing and giggling along with them I started looking them over one by one. "How are you so big already?! Braces?! I missed you guys so much!" While squeezing them tightly I heard the contented sigh of my mother. Looking up from the dog pile I matched her smile and watched her wipe at a small tear my younger brother now teenager stood beside her while trying to look disinterested which made me smile more, but of course it was short lived as bickering outside the front door grew louder. "You better keep your damn hands to yourself!" "What do you think I am, some fucking perv?!" " Watch your mouth! This is my home and my little girl!"  

Scrambling from my siblings I whipped open the door and pulled Katsuki in my the arm from where he was, just inches from my fathers face. "Stop fighting! Please..." The please was said into the front of Kat's coat, hoping my embrace could slow his racing heartbeat. "Osamu please! What has gotten into you?!" My mother had stepped forward to console my father but he brushed past her, setting down my bags then promptly made his way past us and my siblings who were staring at their feet, upstairs to the bedrooms. A different sigh left the woman I loved the most as she watched him go before turning to us, Kat was tense as he steadied his breathing, "I'm sorry about him. He- he gets defensive over all of us and well... well I should probably introduce us! I'm sorry we didn't know you were coming!" 

She switched over to hostess mode and started with my two brothers and sister, oldest to youngest. "This is Nikko, Taiyo, and Kuni. My name is Hana, Welcome to our home. Although I wish it could have been a better welcoming." She smiled wide at us, finally my boy spoke, "No you're fine, I could have handled that better... I'm Katsuki." He reached out to shake my mother's hand but she waved him off and hugged him instead and she started pulling him into the house for a tour and taking his coat while my siblings and I watched. Kuni my baby sister now about 8 tugged on my jacket sleeve, "He's pretty." I smiled down at her, "He's even prettier when he smiles." "Looks like a dick to me." Whipping my head towards Nikko, now 15 I glared at him, "Be nice." He glared back, "I'll be nice when he is." then he flicked his emo bangs out of his eyes and also started up the stairs. Typical teenagers, looking at Taiyo I could see that he was still observing the situation, he's always been the quiet one, "How old are you now Taiyo? 43?" He turned abruptly to correct me but then saw my teasing smile and loosened, faking a cough and straightening, "I'll be thirteen next month thank you!" 

"I made muffins! Get them before they're gone!" My mom called from the kitchen which set our feet in motion and even brought Nikko back down. Hurrying into the kitchen I bump into my boyfriend who was already through half of his blueberry muffin, our eyes met and he gave me a small smile and nod. A small gasp behind me brought my attention to Kuni who's eyes were big, "You're right!" she then blushed and bit into her muffin. I giggled at her and felt an arm circle my waist, his warmth shaking my nerves as I observed my family interact around the kitchen island. I heard feet above me and my nerves returned, I really hope this week goes well. Katsuki's arm tightened slightly...

*****************************

HELLOOOOOOO WATTPAD!!!!! Long time no see... from me. Hopefully I can get some more chapters out and potentially wrap some of these up. Also, There were no websites that could give me Ochako's parent's names so I had to come up with them. Hopefully they work ok (: