Chapter 18

Looking out the train window at the passing landscapes I am warmed and overwhelmed at the thought of being home. Over this last semester I had been stressing and dreading going back to my wintery mid west small town, back to the obligations and back to the responsibilities but now as I watch the snow covered trees pass and the familiar hills and rolling farmlands now dormant spread out to the horizon, I am filled with nostalgia.

My gaze passes from the window to the empty seat besides me and my brow furrows...

*************************************

This week has been beyond busy, besides finishing the semester with three hour long finals, two presentations worth thirty percent of my grade each, and a fifteen page essay on the essential necessities of hand stitching, I also had three days of double shifts so I could still maintain my upcoming time off to go home. Plus on top of that I had to make multiple last minute alterations and costume additions to the Theater department for opening night that every second of this last week was stolen including many of my sleeping hours. So by the time Kat picked me up to go to his parents' house for dinner on Thursday night I passed out in the car from pure exhaustion. Drifting in and out of consciousness along the drive, the only constant was Kat's warm hand in mine resting on top of my thigh, his thumb washing lazy swaths across my skin.

"Hey... We're here..."

I had to blink the sleep away before fully coming to in the Bakugou's driveway. Stretching awake I grin at my blond hottie of a boyfriend watching me with that pierced lip pulled up the slightest bit, "Take a picture dummy, it'll last longer." In record time, his phone was out and he snapped a photo of me sticking my tongue out, "Good idea floaty." he leaned in and kissed me gently before snapping another and immediately setting it as his lock screen, I can't help but give him a hard time, "Wow the great Bakugou Katsuki is such a sap!" The wicked glare I received could frighten even the toughest of individuals, but I knew this monster intimately and knew he wouldn't hurt a fly. But that didn't stop him from punishing me with the one thing that would leave me breathless, exhausted, and insanely overwhelmed with emotion; death by tickles.

His attack was furious, an onslaught of jabs and squeezes to my side and knees while I shrieked like a banshee and futilely swatted at him. Somehow I managed to get to the door handle and effectively plop out onto the frozen pavement, away from his murder hands. The gremlin wild eyed smirk he gave me from the driver's seat froze me more than just the frigid temperature, "You're dead meat sweat cheeks!" With a yelp I slammed my door in his face and bolted for the front door. Fight or flight reflexes in full action I try and pick up speed as I hear his door also slam along with his increasingly heavy footsteps.

But alas it was all futile, Katsuki scooped me from the front step and spun me around, our shouts of laugher loud and hysterical. Our heartbeats raced as did our breathing but I felt nothing but happiness as Kat placed my feet back on the ground and kissed my forehead.

The outside lights flicked off then back on, Mitsuki Bakugou's figure standing inside the front doorway window giving us a losers sign while Masuru took pictures. I laughed again as Katsuki flipped them the bird then threaded his fingers in mine as he pulled me towards the door. He glanced my way for a brief moment, his eye dipping to my lips then back up.

**************************

I gave Fang his complementary belly rubs after dinner. The fire place was lit and warmed his graying fur. The sweet old dog sighed contently from the affection as the two blond Bakugou aggressors battled back and forth on ornament placement for their Christmas tree while Masuru made decaf in the kitchen. "WE ARE NOT PUTTING THAT SHIT ON THE TREE!" "IT'S CUTE AND IT'S TRADITION SO IT STAYS!" Mitsuki shoved a clump of poorly glued together puzzle pieces onto a branch and raised her chin triumphantly, "Don't you even THINK about taking it down either!" Katsuki muttered profanities under his breath as he slumped in a huff on the couch, his arms crossed, tattooed flames peeking out of his t-shirt. Fang also gave me a sigh and curled himself tighter on the plush rug. Sensing I was doing more disturbing than comforting, I left the old dog to his slumber and got to my feet. Dipping my hands into the old worn paper grocery bags I took hold of a few ornaments and pulled them into the light, analyzing the beautiful unique shapes and colors then looking for the perfect spot to hang them.