Chapter 7

They were invisible.

And Loki was super excited about using his power to get them to the cube.

"Loki, can you make it look like the cube just disappears?"

Loki nodded.

They crept past everyone, and there it was, being loaded into a tiny safe.

"I can crack that safe." Moon said.

"You know how to do that?"

"Of course!" Moon smiled and ran up to the safe just as the snakes had finished and were calling everyone together.

She put her ear to the safe, listening as she spun the knob around, waiting for the right click. In a minute, it cracked open.

She lifted the piece out. It radiated power and malice.

She hated it instantly.

Forcing herself to hold it tight, and then they were running.

Bolting up the nearest tree, she hoisted Loki in up after her.

He looked at the cube. She didn't like how his eyes shifted over to hunger.

She put it out of his sight.

"What are we going to do with it?" Loki asked.

"Destroy it. Then we find the others and destroy them too."

"Destroy it?" Loki asked, startled.

"Ye-es?"

"Imagine the weapon we could make out of this!" Loki said with a grin that Moon didn't like at all.

"No. Power isn't everything, and with any of it alive, they could probably fulfill their plan, whatever it is. They're probably trying to make some kind of weapon."

"We'd keep it close by!" Loki protested.

"Loki! It doesn't matter! If this thing," she jabbed her finger at the glowing object, "is just as bad as it seems, imagine how corrupted you could become. Or what if you don't even have the power to wield it in the first place?"

Loki grumbled something but stopped arguing. Power-hungry. That's what everyone was. Moon had enough power to know it wasn't all nice and great. She knew it could turn you.

And she secretly thought the power Loki had now might be too much for him.

Look at how he's so desperate for something we don't know anything about. This isn't safe in the world.

This isn't safe anywhere.

Moon's hands burst into flame, and she squeezed the cube.

It burned, it burned, it burned.

It hurt!

As the cube melted into a liquid, it dripped into the ground below them. She could hear snakes approaching.

Loki didn't stop her, but had a very tragic face on.

She could feel her blood run down her wrists and onto her arms.

Keep... going...

Pain blazed, and she felt like she was being stabbed.

Finally, the last bit melted, and her hands were a horrible bloody mess.

Something happened to Loki's eyes. They kind of changed from the cold and power-hungry glare to the look Moon had come to like.

He took one look at her, blinked, glanced down, and concentrated.