Chapter 1 - When Things Get Rough

New York City - November 2021

Y/n typed the last couple of words in her news piece, hit the save button, then reread the whole piece. Satisfied with her work, she opened her email and sent her work to her boss. She turned off her computer and stretched. It was 6 pm on the dot. Perfect. She thought.

She tidied her working desk, gathered her belongings, put on her face mask and grabbed her bag. Her colleagues had gone home, some was working from home, including her boss. So the office was empty. She wasn't required to come to the office herself, but she needed to access the news server from her office, she couldn't do it from home so she had to come.

As she went out the door, she saluted the security guard and the security guard saluted her back.

"You're done working for the day?" The security guard asked.

"Yeah. Finished the news piece I told you about, finally." She answered.

"Well good for you. Have a nice evening." The security guard said.

"Thank you Will. You too." She said smiling at him.

She knew he couldn't see her smile due to the mask she was wearing, but she did it anyway.

She decided to buy pizza for dinner, so she stopped by her favourite pizza place. As she waited for her order, she stepped outside of the restaurant and went to the news stand not far from the restaurant.

She scanned the newspapers and magazines on display, not looking for anything in particular. Her eyes caught a picture on the cover of a tabloid. It was a picture of a black haired man in a dark blue shirt and shorts, wearing a reversed cap. He was photographed holding hands with a long haired blonde girl. She rolled her eyes but she picked the tabloid anyway.

She opened it and found more pictures of him inside. She shook her head in disbelief as she saw the picture of the man and the girl kissing, but he had his eyes open. Then she felt like she wanted to throw up when she saw the picture of the blonde girl putting her hand inside his thigh.

"Just when you think things couldn't get any worse." Y/n grumbled under her breath.

Even though she felt repulsed, she still bought the tabloid. She had ideas on making extra money from it.

When she went back to the restaurant her order was ready. She picked it up and went home.

Y/n put the keys of her apartment into the key hole of her door and opened it. The warm air welcomed her, comforting her chilly bones. Y/n took off her coat, hung it on the hook behind the door, dropped her bag to the sofa and put the pizza box and the tabloid on the coffee table.

She took off her mask, her shoes and went to the kitchen sink to wash her hands. Then she sat on the sofa in front of the TV, leaning back to rest.

She picked up the tv remote and flicked the tv on. Pressing the search button, she settled on a showing of a Master Chef episode. She loved the show even if she didn't really like cooking. Who knew a cooking show could be so interesting to the point of making her addictive watching it. She thought.

She opened the box of pizza and took a slice. Mmm.. she hummed in appreciation. She bought pizza from Rubirosa and ordered her absolute favourite, the Rubirosa Supreme. She didn't order pizza everyday, especially not from Rubirosa as it was a little expensive for her. But she decided to treat herself that day to make her feel happy. She just got out of a particularly bad relationship and sometimes she still felt the raw negative emotion of the recent break up eating her from the inside. Pizza made her feel better so she decided to get it that night.