"Shit!" He yelled purely out of fright, jumping back from the destroyed shelf.

"Trevor, are you all right?" Athena stressed worriedly, furrowing her brows as she started to slow her walking down. If he wasn't, she wasn't just going to keep walking home. She couldn't see what had happened, she could only hear it. To her, it didn't sound good.

"Yeah, yeah, just this stupid barn. Everything is so old in here, it keeps falling apart," Trevor told her as he took a deep breath, angrily kicking the block of wood to avenge his reputation, which only backfired and hurt his toe in the process.

"Wait, did you say barn?" Athena questioned as she completely stopped walking, freezing on the side of the road near her house.

"Yeah, why? Is something wrong?" The boy asked worriedly as he too stopped what he was doing, refraining from jumping around and cradling his sore foot in his hands as he tucked his phone between his soft cheek and tense shoulder.

"Do you live at the Dirt Farmer's house?" She interrogated him as her forehead creased with anxiety.

"Dirt Farmer?"

"The scary mansion out in the middle of nowhere," she told him as she started to move again, her initial surprise slowly fading away.

"Yep, that pretty much describes it," he sighed as he ducked his head, his dark curls falling over his forehead and bouncing before his eyes.

"Jesus, Trevor, you're gonna get possessed," Athena mumbled beneath her breath as she kicked a loose stone off the path. She watched it roll onto the road, disappearing into the plethora of other stones and rocks laying flat against the ground.

"Excuse me?" He couldn't comprehend what she was trying to say. What she was trying to say seriously.

"You know, ghosts and stuff," she muttered with no hint of sarcasm whatsoever. She fully believed in it, which surprised the boy on the other side of the line, as he didn't. He thought ghosts and everything to do with the supernatural were myths. Athena thought the opposite.

"Yeah, I know that, but I didn't realize you believed in it," he explained with furrowed brows. He couldn't recall a time when he'd spoken to someone who was openly believing in the supernatural.

"How else do you explain the unexplainable?" She defended with a smug smile, turning the final corner down the street with her house.

"You just don't?" Trevor shrugged carelessly, rising a scoff from the girl walking through down sunlit road.

"You're no fun, Spengler," Athena jeered with a hidden smile.

"Hey, I can be fun!" He instantly defended, taking offense to her joking statement.

"Oh really, how so?" She questioned with sudden interest, raising her brows as a bright smile began to settle across her plump lips.

"I'll show you. Once I get this shit box fixed, I can take you out for a ride," the boy slyly suggested as he bit his lip, once again praying that she would agree to it.

"Is that the mechanics you were talking about?" Athena asked lightly, thinking over what he had just told her.

"This one's a little different," Trevor grimaced as he looked down at the tarp-covered piece of junk, "but yeah, sure."

"I might just take you up on that. I'll have to see it first, though," she told him with a giddy smile, not knowing that one appeared on his face mere moments later.

"You're allowed to come take a look whenever you like," he assured her politely as he started to make his way out of the deteriorating shack.

"What about now?" She joked, not knowing Trevor was oblivious to her sarcastic manner.

"Well, now's probably not the best time. You see-" 

"Relax, Trevor, I'm only joking," she reassured him calmly, a slight giggle being uncovered beneath her peaceful voice as his tensed up face fell. 

"Oh, sorry," he spluttered through his embarrassment. 

"Don't worry about it," Athena whispered before a small sigh slipped through her lips as she glanced up at her house, the front lights illuminating the porch area. "I've gotta go. I'll talk to you tomorrow, all right?"

"Yeah, definitely. Bye, Athena." Trevor held a smile as his soft voice floated through the phone.

"Bye, Trevor," the fluffy-haired female concluded before hanging up the phone, closing her eyes nervously as she tucked it in her back pocket. She knew her mother was home.

She walked in as quietly as she could, but soon realized it was futile upon casting her eyes to the occupied couch. Her blonde elder was sitting calmly on the grey sofa with a half-full glass of wine swirling in her hand. She spared a glance in her daughters direction, subtly sighing, before her eyes returned back to the tv.

"Yes?" Athena asked as nicely as she could muster, holding back her eyes from rolling around in their sockets.

"Can you go fetch me that wine from the table, darling?" Her mother asked her, motioning over to the wooden table leaning against the wall with her hand without averting her pupils from the television.

"But, mum, your glass is still-" Her mum's eyes glared deep into hers.

"I said," she seethed through her teeth, "get me the wine."

Athena squeezed her lips together in a thin line as she stared at her drunken mother, knowing the only thing that was keeping the woman from lashing out was the man in the kitchen a wall over. She delivered the almost empty bottle of alcohol to her mum before shuffling into the kitchen, seeing her dad leaning over the stove with a wooden spoon in hand.

"Anything new at the shop?" She asked after her dad had sent her a nod of acknowledgment.

"Other than Ms. Bellamy popping in to say hello, not much," he told her as he returned to stirring the small family's dinner.

"There's a new family in town," Athena informed her father as she leant against the clean benchtop, her hands moving to grip the sides of the table as she watched him cook the food.

"Oh really? And how do you know this?" He questioned with a raised brow, leaving the wooden spoon resting across the top of the hot pan as he faced his daughter with crossed arms.

"I met the son, he's gonna start working with Lucky," she smiled as she met his eyes. He squinted his eyes, trying to look through her eyes to see if she was telling the truth, before blinking with defeat.

"Is he now?" She hummed before patting his shoulder and beginning to retreat to her room.

"It smells good, dad!" She shouted back over her shoulder with a bright grin.

"Always does!"