03 | 𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝

Matt walked out of his room the next morning, being quiet– not knowing if Sienna Grace was awake yet

Matt walked out of his room the next morning, being quiet– not knowing if Sienna Grace was awake yet. He heard a loud movement from his couch. She was moving around. "Matthew?" Sienna Grace muttered. Matt smiled. "Good morning, Sienna Grace." He said sofly. Sienna Grace sat up, wrapping the blanket around her. "Coffee?" Matt asked. Sienna Grace nodded, forgetting that he was blind. She looked over at him. Matt stood there clueless. "Is that a yes?" He chuckled. "Oh! Yeah– yes please. I'm so sorry." She muttered. Matt smiled and walked into the kicthen. He heard her heartbeat quicken. Sienna Grace was nervous.

Why was she nervous?

Matt started his coffee maker and leaned on his kitchen counter. "Did you sleep well?" He looked up to where she was sitting. Sienna Grace stood up, the fluffy blanket still wrapped around her. "Yes. . .an– and thank you again, for letting me sleep here last tonight." She said quietly, smiling. Matt nodded. "You'll always be welcome here Sienna Grace." Matt grinned. Sienna Grace sighed softly. "Thank you." She murmured, walking over to his kicthen and leaning on the wall between them. The two sat in silence. The coffee maker was brewing loudly, overtaking the silence. "Tell me about yourself, Sienna Grace." Matt said softly. She looked up at him. Her heart beat faster once again.

"Well, what exactly do you want to know?" She asked softly. Matt scoffed. "Anything you're willing to share." He smiled. Sienna Grace nodded. She thought for a moment– thinking of what she was comfortable with that she could share with him. After all, Matt was still quite the stranger to her. "There's not a lot to say," she sighed. "Both of my parents passed when I had turned seventeen. I– I have an older sister, she lives in Manhattan. And I uh– I have a goldfish named Kevin." She chuckled softly. Matt nodded. "I'm. . .I'm sorry to hear about your parents." He muttered. She shrugged. "I've gotten used to it by now, it's fine. . .really." She sighed softly. Matt nodded. "Yeah– I get what you mean. I lost my dad when I was younger." Matt murmured. Sienna Grace looked at him with sympathy. "I'm sorry, Matt." She whispered. He shrugged slightly.

Like his father's death meant nothing.

"Can't live forever, huh?" He sighed. The coffee maker stopped brewing and Matt turned around to grab mugs for the two. He walked over to where his coffee maker was and slowly poured the coffee in the mugs. "How do you like your coffee?" He asked softly. Sienna Grace shrugged. "Just like that, thank you." She murmured. Matt nodded and grabbed the two mugs. He walked slowly, back to where he was previously standing and handed a mug to her. "What's your sister's name?" Matt asked as he took a drink. Sienna Grace held the mug– warming her hands. "Kayla Caldwell." She said. Matt nodded slowly. Sienna Grace took a small drink of the steaming coffee. "Do you have any siblings, Matthew?" She asked. Matt set his mug down on the counter and shook his head. "No. . .no, I was an only child. Just me and my dad growing up." He said quietly. She sucked on her bottom lip, admiring his face; thinking of the way his eyes moved peculiarly when he mentioned his dad or the way he grew up, or even when he talks about Foggy.

"What happened?" She asked softly. "What happened to you after your dad passed away?" Sienna Grace repeated her words carefully. Matt looked up at her. He held back his words for a moment. Matt gently rubbed his finger along the side of his coffee mug. "I went to a catholic orphanage and lived there for quite a few years." He explained. She nodded. "That's better than nothing?" Sienna Grace hesitated. Matt scoffed. "Yeah– yeah you're right. They gave me something when I didn't have anything." He looks down. The two sat in silence, awkwardly. None of the two knowing what to say. Matt furrowed his brows. "What time is it?" He asked softly. Sienna Grace picked up her phone and looked at the time. "It's 8:27." She said softly. Matt picked up his mug and finished the rest of his coffee– putting the dirty mug in the sink afterwards. "Well. . .I got to go to work and I have some errands to run. Feel free to stay here, shower. . .you're welcome to anything. Just put the key ontop of the doorframe when you leave." Matt smiled.

He quickly got dressed and left his apartment– giving Sienna Grace an extra key before he left.

« ✞︎ »

Matt sat in an inclosed wooden box. A thin screen separated him and an older man. "Bless me father, for I have sinned. It has been uh. . .four days since my last confession." Matt whispered. "What is it you have done?" The man asked in response. Matt sighed. He hesitated on answering his question.

He was nervous.

"Father, I. . .I hurt a man the other night." Matt murmured. He heard the man shift his weight. "And I hurt him badly." Matt said quietly. The man nodded. "Why did you hurt the man, Matthew?" He asked. Matt shook his head slightly, a ringing filled his ears. "He was. . ." Matt's voice trailed off. "He was, harassing a women. I heard her screaming so I helped her." He explained. The man sighed. "You are hellbound, Matthew." The man said. Matt let out a shallow breath. "Why do you say that, father?" Matt scoffed. The man let out a quiet sputtered sigh. "That is the same confession you've been telling me for the past three weeks. . . you are lying. You've let out the devil within yourself." He explained. Matt furrowed his brows. He's heard that term many times. . .but not from his preist. "You cannot keep lying Matthew. It doesn't do you any justice. Neither does hurting others." The man sighed. Matt took off his glasses and set them on his knee. "I'm sorry, father." Matt whispered.

He played with the arms on his glasses. "It's turned into a bad habit." He chuckled quietly. The man nodded.

"Yes it has. . . Matthew, you need to learn how to control the devil within you." The man muttered. "You don't want a repeat of your father, he didn't want you to turn out like him." The man whispered. Matt sighed. He thought of all the amazing memories he had of his father– Battlin' Jack Murdock. Then Matt remembered the night he died, the night he felt his dad's face covered in blood and welts. "I know. . .I know." Matt murmured. He nodded slowly and put back on his red glasses. "I won't, father." Matt said. "I am sorry for these and all my sins. I ask pardon of God, penance, and absolution of you. . .father." Matt repeated the prayer. "Thank you for your time, father." Matt whispered. He walked out of the confession booth and out of the church.

Did the man really have to bring up Matt's dad?

Matt extended his cane and began walking down the street. He thought about what the man had said. The word 'hellbound' roamed his mind. Was it really true?

Matt shrugged off the thoughts and walked up to his office to meet up with Foggy and Karen.

He was surprised to see Sienna Grace, sitting in the break room.