Chapter 50: The Densest

Start from the beginning

"Got any dates for the Valentine's Day? I know you don't so accompany me to the mall. I need to buy some stuff." She invited, flashing him an eye-closed smile, obviously not getting a 'no' for an answer.

He never realized it before... but it's true they've been spending their time together on every Valentine's day but only because of the girl's invitations with reasons. He never saw it as something with meaning such as a date between the two of them. He never realized it was her way to get him to spend the special day with her. After all, he didn't really laid his eyes on her in that way. He wasn't interested in her at that time anyway so why would he pay attention to such detail? He would even often sulk, thinking why she's inviting him instead of Shin.

The two were walking down the halls when a group of girls had started squirming and squealing when they spot the light haired man. Y/N who was once again being overprotective, wrapped an arm around his and extended the other towards the ladies trying to approach the bored-looking man beside her.

"Shoo! Back away, back away! Waka's mine for today!" She shouted and he noticed how the girls sent her a glare to which she replied with a mock and sticking out her tongue at them.

A childish act as always.

That kind of act was so normal that he never made a big deal out of it. He has witnessed Y/N getting into fights because of the girls who are always trying to get his attention. Though annoyed at her, still he was thankful that she's keeping the girls away from him when they really don't interest him in any way.

But he never once thought that Y/N, herself was one of the girls who was also trying to get his attention with the same reason. He never thought she had real feelings towards him besides her expressing her gratitude towards him for helping her before. He had always thought she was just being childish.

He thought it was nothing serious... and yes, he's regretting every bit of it.

'So, it wasn't a dream after all.' He thought to himself, remembering what he heard in his sleep last night. He didn't even want to wake up at that time, wanting to hear more from the girl which he thought was a part of his dream. But it just so happened that it all happened in reality.

Now that he recalls it, the girl did try to drop signs for him to get a clue of her feelings before.

"There's this guy that I like. He's so dense, it's getting annoying." She stated and with a frustrated sigh, she leaned on the tree and beside him as he remained silent but kept his ears open for her bext words out of curiosity. If he had still been the Wakasa before, he wouldn't even bother listening to her rant... but now that he already started to acknowledge his feelings for the girl, he just can't help but give her the attention... although still keeping his cold demeanour towards the poor girl.

"He's super cool and handsome but it wasn't just that that made me like him. He has a very good heart, too. Because he's my saviour." In the corner of his eye, he can see her smiling to herself as she talk about this certain guy that she likes.

The scene made his heart clench in pain. He had an assumption that it might be his bestfriend—Shinichiro but Wakasa only shrugged it off, not really caring much for such emotions when they're still so young for the kind of stuff.

Wakasa felt nauseous as the memories enter his mind one by one. It made him mad with regret that he never noticed her desperate efforts before just so she could get him to notice her. It twisted the insides of his stomach, making him uncomfortable. It's as if he got caught red handed in something.

He feels so bad and guilty for not appreciating her enough. For not seeing her.

The signs were right under his nose and still years passed with him being clueless of everything.

'What a loser.' He thought to himself and just then...

"Huh? What do you mean you're a loser? How dare you say that when you've been my knight in shining armor all the time."  Her voice rang in his head, remembering the time he first opened up to her only for him to end up getting showered with compliments by the girl.

He gritted his teeth, frustrated at how dunb he was before.

He couldn't believe he's the one who's been the densest.

"I'm hella nervous." The girl once again shifted in her position, unable to stay seated properly out of nervousness. Wakasa raised a brow at her as he ate his lunch.

"Why?" He had noticed the girl was being restless for the whole day ever since she went up to him. Though she hasn't mentioned the reason to him yet.

"I'll be confessing to him today after class."

Wakasa raised a hand to cover his mouth. He was speechless. All this time he thought that 'guy' was someone else. But it turns out, it was him all this time. But why?

At the end of that day, why did he not receive any confession from her?

Why on that very day... he ended up getting hurt and heartbroken all by himself?

Why on that very day... became the last time that he spent time with her in their younger years?

"Wh—" he tried to speak up but to his dismay, he was cut off by the girl.

"You don't have to give me any answer. I already know how you feel about me." He was frozen at her words.

'She knows?' He thought but his face soon turned into a puzzled look when he realized she had a depressed look on her face.

She looked too sad for someone who was loved back by the person they just confessed their love to.

She pulled her wrist back softly, still not giving him a glance. She's still scared to face the reality she's convinced herself in. She doesn't even have any idea what's running in the man's mind in that moment. As she pulled away, he was confused at her behavior until she spoke.

"But just so you know." Her voice trailed off and finally for what felt like the first, she raised her eyes to meet his gaze with a determined look. He can clearly see her reddish and watery eyes. It hurt him to see her like this but joy was taking over him, thinking that the person he's been longing for loves him the same. But unfortunately, the girl was still convinced of her own little lying reality. "I'm not regretting any of it." She huffed and walked back inside the cabin, carrying the item and materials she was working on earlier.

Without being given the chance to speak to her, Wakasa sat in front of the entrance, dumbfounded. He was too happy at that very moment that he can only release a sigh, chuckling to himself. He can't help but think of how stupid the both of them have been all this time.

With a small smile dancing on his lips, he turn to stare at the door where the girl disappeared. And with a shake of his head, he spoke.

"Y/N... You're just as dense as I am." He chuckled again, not caring how crazy he looks by now with how wide his smile is.

'I thought I loved you first... but it turns out you've been waiting for forever for me to love you back.'

This thought made him feel sad for the girl. All this time, he's probably been hurting her so much with his rejections. And so with a determined attitude, he spoke even when the girl can no longer hear him.

"I'm sorry..."

"I swear I'll make it up to you, you dummy."

__________
Author's Note:
Dunno if this is what y'all have been waiting for but here 'ya go~ I can already tell you guys are ready to throw hands at our mcs for this 💀