[⁵] ᵗʰᵉ ᴶ ʷᵒʳᵈ

Depuis le début

Phoebe looked at a loss. "What do you mean?"

Dana got it immediately.

"If it's not a teacher, I doubt anyone else at school would catch her attention."

Phoebe let the cutlery fall from her hands, making a clangorous noise.

"Dana!"

"What? All those old men on your posters speak for themselves. Can't say I blame you, though. Richard Gere? More like Richard Grrr..." Dana gestured with her hand in the shape of a paw with claws.

The other three women were speechless and baffled, but highly amused by Dana.

Carlo cleared his throat.

"Dana, leave your cousin alone. It's bad enough we all just had to listen to this."

Thankfully for Phoebe, the conversation diverted to the topics of Joanna and Aunt Julia's respective lives as of late. Joanna was already in her first responder training, sometimes coinciding with Carlo in the areas used for that training. Which proved an amazing motivation for Joanna-having her big brother close during such trying circumstances made her feel not only assured but safe.

If only Phoebe had someone to make her feel the same in each trying circumstance she faced.

But she always had to face them alone. And, used to that by now, Phoebe confronted this like any other time.

Although, this time proved to be different because of one detail; an inner, dual conflict that she wasn't aware was going on yet.

When Walter returned to his office in the afternoon to work as usual, he expected to go later for dinner upstairs as-recently-usual.

But he got to his office, took off his coat, and immediately noticed something out of place.

The box that was supposed to not be there anymore since yesterday, was still at his desk.

He noticed the tape had been ripped, which only added to his confusion. So Walter went back out his office and reached Gina.

"Why was this back at my desk?"

"You'd have to ask Red. She came by, placed it here, and left without one word." Gina shrugged.

He didn't waste a second getting the elevator up and going into the restaurant, decisively walking around until he found Phoebe.

She was in the middle of her shift, but he didn't care.

Phoebe saw him going toward her through the corner of her eye. She pretended like she hadn't.

Walter pulled Phoebe aside to a less crowded area as soon as he got the chance.

"What do you think you're doing?" She asked him with indignation, looking at the hand against her shoulder.

Walter went straight to the point.

"Why did you return it?"

"I don't want it."

She made the intent to return to work, but he held her back once more.

"You don't have to feel indebted, if that's what it is."

"Don't tell me how to feel."

"What's gotten into you?" He glanced at her like he was seeing a beastly creature ready to take his head off in one bite. "I give you the latest cellphone in the market and this is all you have to say?"

Phoebe could almost feel some sort of remorse in the way she was feeling about him, but she would not let herself be guilted into submitting to any man who waved dollar bills in her face.