The Feared Assassin

It was quiet as the sun set over Masyaf. A single Eagle was soaring through the evening sky; the setting sun swept over it's feathers, casting a shadow flying though the valley below. Its sharp watchful eyes scanning the Earth for any prey.

Here was the village of Masyaf. The villager's shouts to buy their products slowly died down. Small conversations hustled through out the village, gossip and rumors travelled from mouths to ears. Travelers from distant cities tended to their horses, the sound of stomping hooves and snorting was all to be heard mainly as they stood feeding on the hay and drinking the water before them. The guards stood watch, a hand on their sword; ready for anything. Even though it was mostly quiet throughout the village and fortress that stood tall atop the mountain over looking the entire valley.

This was the heart, the head quarters; home of the Assassins. A great order of individuals that fought and served for peace. They stayed their blades from the flesh of the innocent. They hid in plain sight masking them as one with the crowd. They never compromised their brotherhood, never bringing direct or indirect harm to the rest of the brotherhood or their home. The three tenets of the Assassins.

"We work in the dark, to serve the light."

"We are Assassins."

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lone Eagle glided through the chilled air towards the towering fortress of Masyaf; circling the grand fortress it came to a halt and called out in annoyance as a bright light blinded it that came from the fortress tower, it flew off breaking the contact.

The sun reflected off a sharpened blade that now was being cleansed. Once cleansed, it was held up against the setting sun. A sharp pair of golden brown, hazel eyes reflecting off the dazzling blade; studying it for any dirt. It was swung through the air by its wielder. It's sharpness whistling and cutting through the air with each aimed swing. Once the inspecting eyes where satisfied it was then sheathed and placed down on the platform which its wielder sat upon. His white robes resting at his sides as he was staring at the bleached landscape. The breeze blowing into his hood giving him a slight chill at the back of his neck. He looks down at the courtyard where a couple of novices were training in the training ring. He huffs as he watches them wield their swords in training.

'Inexperienced' he thinks to himself. His ego standing proud.

He knew and every other assassin knew he was better than any other; a Master Assassin. But they also knew that he was very arrogant. He mostly does as he pleases only to see his work done, or to complete a mission he was set out on; but always remained respected. The breeze cut at his eyes making them water slightly. He brushed the threatening tears away and stood, pulling up his sheathed sword as he re-attached it to his belt. Walking back he dropped and slid down the ladders hugging the tower with a small thud and trotted into the courtyard shaking off the impact of his harsh descent. He slowed to a walk and headed up the hill towards the entrance to the main hall. 

As he passed the other Assassin's they nodded in respect with an arm over their chest. He passed through the tall archway; ignoring the two guards and into the library. He jogged up the stairs and made his way towards his Masters study; the Master of the Assassin's.

As he turned the corner he was stopped in his tracks. His eyes widened as he saw the Master with another figure. One he did not recognize. The Master turned.

"Ah Altair." The Master greeted.

"Master." Altair bowed.

"I have someone I want you to meet." he announced.