She's pretty much got this 'life' thing covered, even if I don't have a clue.

Love you, Richelle. -Eva Ann Cleveland

My mother made me go to the hospital after physical therapy for that stupid volunteer thing. The real reason I didn't want to do it? I didn't want to be anywhere near the hospital. It's where I lost my sister, it's where I lost my leg, what reason would I have to go back voluntarily?

Of course, this isn't voluntary, at least not with my mother, but still. Shasta had already been pre-certified to see approved patients in the hospital. Sadie used to do this after school with Shasta.

"Richelle Cleveland?" Ms. Riley, the volunteer coordinator, smiled at Mom and I. "You'll be working with two other kids."

Great. I stood on crutches, with Shasta's leash wrapped around my wrist. She didn't pull and strain on her leash, so Mom figured I could take her as long as I could handle her.

My eyes widened, staring at Miles. Oh great. This was just going to be utterly delightful with that kid around. Jocelyn George, a girl I vividly remembered as the most annoying thing on the planet stood next to him. Even more great. My life was about to get better. Yay. Barf.

"Hey, who's this?" Jocelyn asked, reaching her hand toward Shasta, who coiled away from her and raised the corner of her mouth, letting out a growl.

"Shasta," I said. "Her name is Shasta."

"Cool name," Jocelyn said. "I never did catch your name."

"Richelle."

"Cool. So why are you here?" Jocelyn asked. "Cause I've been volunteering for a while by myself."

"It's closer to Christmas and it's getting colder out so we usually dress up and sing Christmas songs to the kids," Jocelyn said, as we walked toward the volunteer room.

"Uh-huh," Miles said. He held tightly to Conrad's harness as he followed Jocelyn.

Jocelyn led us to the costume closet and grabbed a funny green elf costume that had so many bells it jingled when she pulled it off the rack.

"Take anything you want," she told me. But before I could even begin, she picked up a Santa dress from the rack. "It's like a Christmas in July type thing. Oh, you could rock this!"

My mind flashed back to a memory of Eva and my eighth Christmas.

Eva twirled around in her Santa dress and giggled as it rippled out around her.

I sat in a chair, dangling my legs out and watching my sister's joy.

Eva finally grabbed my hands and pulled me up, spinning us both around.

"Come on, Richelle!" She pulled me to our bedroom and in front of the mirror. She put her arm around my shoulder and I looked in the mirror. "I think you're cuter," She finally said.

I stared at the mirror. We were both dressed in identical Santa dresses, both our hair hung in curls, and we were identical twins.

I giggled. "We're twins. What are you talking about?"

Eva shrugged. "You look cuter. I don't know why."

She took my arms and flung me on the bed, then she launched herself on next to me.

That was the best Christmas since Eva died, because it was the Christmas before Eva got sick.

I blinked back into reality, looking at the dress Jocelyn was holding. I glanced down at my prosthetic leg. Wearing a dress exposed my prosthetic leg for all to see.