Chapter 6

"There," Richelle said, laying my Dutch braid over my shoulder.

Gabby sat on the end of the bed, her light blonde hair in French braids that draped over her shoulders.

Richelle had even let me attempt to do her hair. (I failed.) I had tried braids, but her hair barely touches her shoulders, so that didn't exactly work out, so she got pigtails and was not extremely happy with them.

Just for fun, I had tried to do Gabby's makeup. Purple eyeshadow above and around her eye. She looked like she'd been in a fistfight with someone. Richelle had done my makeup, although she hadn't done it terribly.

Sierra had once told me that I would probably start wearing makeup in seventh grade, because 'that's when she started.' First of all, we're the same age. Second, Richelle was in high school and still didn't wear makeup.

"Come on, Richelle!" I pleaded, holding a brush full of blush in my left hand menacingly.

"No," Richelle frowned at me. "Makeup sucks."

"It's not that bad," Gabby said, a tube of lipstick in her right hand.

"I said no," Richelle protested.

"Too bad," I stuck the brush in her face.

She coughed and waved a hand in front of her face. "Really, Sadie?" She arched an eyebrow at me. She rolled her eyes at me.

"Here," Gabby said, smearing lipstick across Richelle's cheek.

Richelle frowned at her. "Why me? Why not Sadie?" She reached over and smeared blue eyeshadow on my nose.

"Hey!" I protested. "You're the one who said no makeup!"

"Too bad!" Gabby laughed, swearing lipstick on my cheek.

Richelle snorted. "Your face though."

"Hey!" I said, self-consciously bringing my hands to my face. I felt my left cheek and rubbed it profusely. "Is it gone?"

"No," Richelle's lips twitched. "But you did an amazing job at smearing it. It's actually quite funny."

"You should talk," I replied. "You have blush-" I made a circle around my head with my index finger. "Right around here."

Richelle rolled her eyes. "Ha. Ha."

"You both look like clowns," Gabby said, smirking at us.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "You did not. You did not just say that."

"Oh, but I did," Gabby said. She stuck her tongue out at Richelle, who leaned forward and grabbed her, tickling aggressively.

"Hey!" Gabby's voice was lost in the laughter. "St-Sto-Stop!"

"What was that?" Richelle asked as she tickled.

"Stop it!"

"What? Couldn't hear you!"

Then she tumbled off the bed. Richelle leaned over the side of her bed, both feet (even the cast) in the air, her chin resting on her hands. "Why'd you fall off?"

Ally kept trying to get me to hang out with her all day. I swear I was about to scream.

My best friend Jazmine snorted. "What's with you and the popular girl?"

I shrug. "Don't ask me. We were put in a science group together and now she thinks we're like this." I held my index and middle fingers together. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

Jaz snorted. "That's funny. Glad I don't have to put up with it."

"Oh, no you get to endure the torture with me," I said. "Mrs. Adkinson put us in the same science group."