Day Five

Even Dedede was flabbergasted by the horrendous plan he'd concocted; the last thing to do was watch as the Knight let the planet, causing Kirby to follow. The relationship that the two star warriors had was nothing short of a mystery, but it was as clear as day that they would crush anyone who would dare try harming the other. Two halves of a whole, perhaps.

The monarch wandered through the castle, subconsciously fearing that the result was fruitless, and that he'd trampled the reputation of one of the most respectable warriors in the galaxy for no reason. Put bluntly, the kid played a crucial role in it all, and his moves labelled the whole operation either successful or a failure.

Though he was undoubtedly bubbly for the final results, he had guilt haunting his mind; the puppet he was operating was someone who had been the only one he hated using as a pawn. Besides the fact that he'd started a rebellion behind his back, he'd been there to protect the castle from day one. And, even when he started said rebellion, it was to defend the land from the monsters he had been ordering. He had been the villain the entire time, and he'd been too ignorant, too egotistical, too attention-demanding to notice his own behaviour was driving those around him away, depleting the amount of respect that they had for him. That respect was long gone, corrupted by the burning hatred that had ignited in its place.

Sitting on his throne, he began having second thoughts about it. Maybe, he was exaggerating about how Kirby was a huge, vile demon, there to strip the land of everything edible.

Time after time, the monarch had beat him senselessly, ordered monsters to attack him and disrupted him all to try and rid him from the town. If he was so smart, why hadn't he banished him, forbidding him from the town altogether? If he was so smart, why didn't he notice that the child was but a child, with aspirations and dreams, yet hated by the land's dictator for no specified reason?

Summing up the events in his own head made him sickened, how could he consider any of his previous behaviour as justified? Who in their sane mind would spend billions on demons to kill a mere toddler? Who? Well, him.

Listening to his thoughts like a radio, he could hear his conscience stabbing guilt and remorse into his head and heart.

But then he remembered why it was that he was doing it; that 'mere toddler' was a liability to them. Casting his cutesy appearance and kind, playful personality aside, that child had power that many dreamed of at night. Without even trying, that child had slain, murdered, killed Nightmare, who was looked upon as a God. He was a god-slaying toddler. What he was capable of at present was something to be worried about, but what he may do with that potential power when he's developed a conscience of his own was a terrifying thought. Though he was kind, there was an off chance that he could sour with age, and who was saying that puberty wouldn't give him mood swings that would cause devastation?

That's what he was doing it for, and he was going to do whatever it took to achieve his goals. Even if that meant sending his most favourite guard elsewhere.

______________________________

"Meta Knight, please open the door. I need to check if you're okay." Tiff begged, pounding her fist against the door desperately. After yesterday's events, she was certain that he'd need company, just to assure him that he wasn't a joke.

"Tiff, I'm perfectly fine. You can go, you don't need to waste your time on me, especially when there are dozens of better things to do. " He replied, fighting off the urge to spill his feelings. Speaking was a minefield; he never knew what information was okay, and what information worried others. Instead, he tried his best to say as little as possible, with his words speaking for him.

She persisted," Look, after what happened, I just thought you'd need a friend. You just seem so lonely, and I don't want you to be lonely."

"Tiff, I've been lonely my whole life. Every person I've ever gotten close to has died in front of me, and I can't bare that pain again. I'm sorry." He apologised, voice cracking with emotion.

The second he said that, he knew that it was something he should have left bottled up.

"Meta Knight, this is why I check on you. I don't want you to think like that, because that's in the past, and you know that it is." Tiff called out, fists anxiously on her chest.

"I don't want to use your pity as stepping stones. I'm fine as I am, and I don't need anybody to check up on me." He shouted back, voice continuously quivering,"You're wasting your own time, time that could be spent with the family who actually cares for you deeply and genuinely."

Was that another thing that should've been left? Or, would she take that differently?

"Fine. But just know I'm here for you if you need me. You can talk to me about anything, Meta Knight, and I'll listen to you, no matter what." She cried, placing her flat palm against the door.

Instead of leaving fully, she imitated fading footsteps by tapping on the wall. She lingered by his door, just to hear any additional snippets.

For a moment or two, he was silent, soundless, dormant.

"What is wrong with me?" He mused, his voice still somewhat shaky. There was anger and sorrow mixed in, like he was in an argument with himself,"She doesn't deserve this. She doesn't deserve being lead on in these circles, thinking she's getting any closer to the truth."

Dedede slinked down the hallway, watching the drama unfold. Hearing him getting emotional about it his past was so..

..sick. Why was he just sitting there, snickering away to himself when it was clear that he needed some help? Shouldn't he be there as moral support, even if he's the last person who he'd come to?

Probably, but he could always go get the help when he was out of Dreamland, Kirby following behind like a lost puppy.

Letting out a narcissistic guffaw, he returned himself to reality.