Chapter 43: Guilt

Start from the beginning

"Shhh... it's okay, it's okay. It isn't your fault. Don't blame yourself. You only did it to save yourself, alright?" He tried to convince her. If it's him, he really wouldn't want the girl to ever kill anyone again so he preferred to have the gun to himself earlier. The way she's breaking in front of him felt like a million needles stabbed his heart. He knows to himself that the girl isn't someone to be in such position in her life right now.

"Don't cry." He tried to hush her, hearing her muffled cries against his shirt. "It hurts me to see you like this." He mumbled under his own breath, not sure if the girl heard him. But he didn't even bother to make it clear and instead focused on reassuring her more. "I'm still here with you. You're not alone in this." He said and hugged her tigher and after a few more seconds, he felt her weight on him getting heavier.

Before he knew it, the girl had already lost consciousness due to her fatigue after running and a long ride. With her puffy eyes now closed and resting, he carefully carried her on his back. He started walking towards their destination where he thought is the safest place for her as of now.

Soon enough, the girl opened her eyes only to be greeted by the dark surroundings filled with trees with small rays of moonlight from above that managed to seep through the branches and leaves of the trees.

"Where are we?" Her voice hoarse from all the crying, she asked while looking around the area, not being able to familiarise anything in sight due to the darkness.

"You'll know once we reach there. Go back to sleep. You need rest." Was all he responded and continued walking.

Y/N has her lips zipped shut for a moment as if deeply thinking about something. Wakasa's colored hair was tickling her cheek as she peeked from his shoulder to the path they're taking. Finding the courage to speak, she called his name to which he replied with a low hum.

"Waka... you already know I'm in the mafia. I use and kill people." She paused, contemplating whether to continue or not, scared of what his answer will be. "Are you... are you sure it's really fine with you to  help and stay with someone like me?" She grew worried when he didn't answer. With quivering lips, she continued. "I didn't give it much thought before and I admit I was being careless but... Are you guys really okay with me—a mafia member hanging around with you?" Once again, Wakasa remained silent as if he's waiting for her to voice out all of her thoughts at once. "You're even helping me now. You can get in trouble for that, you know." After what happened, Y/N only wanted to detach herself more from anyone to prevent worsening things.

She doesn't even know why she chose to go to him when she could endanger his life more with her around.

Maybe...

Just maybe.

Maybe she was hoping for him to help her pull her out of this problem.

To be there for her.

With her depressing thoughts invading, Wakasa had finally spoken up.

"You've been a trouble ever since we were in middle school." Her heart dropped to the pit of her stomach at his words. She felt like crying once again at how he put it. She's aware that she's been causing a lot of trouble but she never expected it to hurt to hear it from him. But she didn't even get a chance to get lost in her thoughts when he continued. "Yet we all stuck with you, didn't we? You're important to me, so it's just right for me to help you no matter the trouble." His tone was soft and caring, making Y/N's eyes warm as she tried to hold back her tears.

There was a long silence as they were exploring deeper into the woods which she concluded is a mountain. When she felt herself calm down, she spoke up.

"I—I can walk now, you know. You'll get tired quick for carrying me around here." She tried to pull back from him but Wakasa didn't bother letting go of her as he responded.

"My body is not that weak, Y/N. You barely even weigh heavy." Was all he said and she no longer decided to argue back in hopes to lessen the trouble she's causing him.

After a few more minutes, they finally came into a halt in an opening.

"We're here." Y/N raised her head and eyed their surrounding, immediately recognising the place at how nostalgic everything look.

"This is..."

"The cabin you and I found when we got lost in this forest back in our trip in high school." Wakasa continued, recalling a memory where the two of them not so unfortunately got lost in this same place before because of her stubbornness. There was a clear space and an abandoned cabin in the middle, surrounded by trees and away from the townsfolk.

He crouched down to let her off him.

"The old couple who once lived here has passed away. So we can stay here for a while. We'll be far from anyone here." He added as he watched the cabin, remembering the time when they had to stay here for the night with just the two of them accompanying each other when the owners of the place were away. It was one of his most peaceful moments in life where Y/N was just being herself around him. A time when it was only the two of them in their own world and no one else to ruin it. Even when back then he still had no feelings for the girl, it was the first time he enjoyed her company.

And now they're back here.

To make a new memory.

As she stands beside him, Wakasa reached for her cold hand and hoped to warm it with his. He turned to her with a smile that the dim moonlight didn't fail to show, causing Y/N's heart to leap in amazement.

"Let's live a free and peaceful life here, okay?"

__________
Author's Note:
Sorry, I slept early, I forgot to update last night. The next chapters might get delayed again gomen🤧