Chapter 2

Blazefire and Minnowpaw walked for a while, how much farther? Asked Minnowpaw. We are almost their. Answered Blazefire. Blazefire was showing Minnowpaw the territory. Blazefire decided that she was going to show Minnowpaw the Shade tree. It was called that because the tree was so shady, that when it gets really hot prey is most likely to be their. Blazefire walked the trail she knew when she was an apprentice. Then they sat by the Shade tree. What can you smell? She asked Minnowpaw. A vole! She whispered. I'll show you how to catch voles. Instantly she dropped into a hunters crouch. She stalked the vole. She put her paws down so lightly that she could. She could barely hear them herself! Then she sprang up into the air. The vole didn't even have time to escape! She landed on it and gave it a good nip on the neck and killed it. Wow! Said Minnowpaw. That was awesome! Can I try? Yes, if you could smell anything. Before she even finished Minnowpaw said quietly, I smell mouse! Then, she did exactly what she did without hesitation. And when she came back she had two mice in her jaws. Great job, Minnowpaw! Said Blazefire. Thanks. Replied Minnowpaw.

After they padded back into camp it was almost dusk. Blazefire said, you did a good job today! You deserve a meal. Thanks, I'm really needing it! Replied a really tired Minnowpaw. Then as Blazefire watched her pad to the fresh kill pile she suddenly felt really tired, so she went to the warriors den and curled up in her nest and went to sleep.