Chapter 2

Lauren's eyes were brimming with tears almost ready to spill over. But with everything she had in her, she forced them back. She wouldn't let anyone in this God forsaken place see her cry. She may have been completely humiliated and stuck sitting in front of the principal's office, waiting for him to call her in while being completely covered in chocolate milk, but if any of them saw her cry then they'd win. And she was done letting them win.

~

Lauren had simply been eating her sandwich and doing the tiny bit of homework that had been assigned on the first day. That was all that she had been doing. There hadn't been any more run-ins with Camila, which she was thankful for. As much as she liked the other girl, she couldn't risk talking to her with Austin and his friends hanging around.

After what had happened that morning, Camila and Austin seemed like they were attached at the hip. And Lauren knew that he wasn't sticking so close because he wanted to be around his girlfriend 24/7. He could pretend to be God's greatest miracle to planet Earth around Camila all he wanted to. Lauren still knew the truth. She knew very well what lurked under Austin's pretty face and charming smile. Which is exactly why she kept her distance from Camila.

She was doing pretty well with that until she felt a slender finger tap her shoulder. She looked away from her work to see Camila standing there with that smile that seemed to never leave her face.

Lauren was a bit in awe, as she always was whenever she saw Camila, but a feeling of dread quickly took over at the realization that they were in a cafeteria full of people who were now watching them, wondering what the heck Austin Mahone's girlfriend was doing talking to the school abomination. That was one of their names for her, the abomination. She was also known as the ice queen or simply, the lesbian. And those were just the more PG names that they had for her. It may have been a Christian school, but the students there didn't seem to care much about religion unless they could use it to bully her. So there was no doubt that those names were going through their heads right now as Camila smiled down at her.

"Hey, a few girls invited me to sit with them at lunch, but I wanted to see if you wanted to join us? We're right over there." Camila asked while gesturing over to a table with a good amount of girls sitting there already.

As Lauren glanced in that direction, she noticed that it was probably the last place she should be sitting. Not only were her ex-best friends sitting at that table, but Charlotte and Ariana were sitting there too. There was no way she was sitting with them. They were part of the reason she was even in this mess right now.

"Um, no thanks. I have some, uh, homework to do. Plus I don't think they'd want me sitting over there anyway...You really shouldn't be talking to me." Lauren answered quietly, trying her best not to offend the girl.

But maybe if she offended her, Camila would stay away for good.

Lauren decided not to be hostile. The rest of the school already hated her. She was actually surprised no one had given Camila the memo that Lauren was the school outcast and that she was supposed to hate her too. With Charlotte and Ariana hanging around her, it was a bit shocking the topic hadn't come up. They were always spreading shit around about her.

Camila's brow furrowed at Lauren's denial of her invitation. Sure Charlotte could be a little annoying, but the rest of the girls were really nice. Why would Lauren think they wouldn't like her?

She couldn't help noticing that Lauren looked like she was more concerned with something else other than their conversation. Her eyes were darting around the room, making Camila glance to see what was troubling her friend. Her question was answered when she saw that the entire cafeteria's eyes were on them, including Austin's. He was glaring in their direction which confused her.