bruno- good enough for me

a/n: this is kind of inspired by something my best friend said to me, so, ily and thanks for the idea? 😂 this one will probably be quite short because...it just is, but i hope you enjoy :)

*cough cough* sorry to interrupt the story, writer no.1 here, i said to writer no. 2 "It sucks feeling like you're not good enough, just know you are perfect to me and I love you the way you are." I hope you are all doing well and always remember that there is someone out there who will say the same to you. You're perfect as you are and we love you <3 hope you enjoy my bestie's amazing writing, let the one shot begin!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You awoke in the middle of the night to get a glass of water as you were thirsty, when you noticed that the place on the bed beside you was empty. Frowning, you propped yourself up on your elbows and groaned, eyelids still heavy from sleep.

"Bruno?" You whispered, your voice slightly hoarse.

Naturally, there was no response. You sat up and swung your legs over the side of the bed, standing up. It wasn't unlike Bruno to get out of bed during the night, he liked to clear his head and found the silence of the night peaceful.

You went downstairs to find him, as you were going to go down anyway, popping your head around the kitchen door.

"Bruno?" You said again. Nothing. You frowned and poured yourself a glass of water. A silhouette from outside made you stop.

Bruno was apparently facing away from you, sat on the bench that the two of you bought when you first moved in. It was facing the flower pots that Isabela had grown, and the stars twinkled above.

You yawned and was about to go upstairs again when you noticed something odd. His shoulders were shaking slightly, and his head was in his hands.

You opened the garden door and he stopped shaking immediately, freezing when he heard you.

"Y/N?" He said, and his voice alone confirmed your suspicions. It sounded like he had a blocked nose and his voice sounded forced.

You immediately sat next to him on the bench, cupping his face to turn it towards you. Your heart broke when you saw that he had been crying heavily, his eyes red and his cheeks wet with tears.

"Oh Bruno." You whispered and wrapped your arms around him, running your hands through his hair. He hiccuped and leaned gratefully into your embrace.

He eventually pulled away and averted his eyes from your face. Wiping his face with his sleeve, he tried to clear his throat.

"Before you say anything, I'm fine." He said, rubbing his eyes.

"Bruno-." You said. He shook his head repeatedly, still not looking at you.

"Mi amor, I'm okay, it's fine, don't worry about me, go back to bed, I'll come up in a second okay?" He said gently.

You shook your head, still frowning. "Bruno, I'm not moving from this bench until you tell me what's wrong." His eyes flickered towards you, but moved back to the ground again, his head hanging dejectedly.

"Look, Y/N, I don't want to keep you up late, and I'm sure you don't want to see me like this-."

"See you like what?" You interrupted.

He gestured vaguely at himself and shrugged. "I'm supposed to be the strong one in this relationship, what will people think of me if they see me like this? Weak? Unworthy? Vulnerable?" His voice broke as he spoke, his eyes barely holding back his tears.

You could believe your ears. "Is that what you truly think?" You asked in disbelief, touching his arm lightly.

He nodded slowly, a tear dropping from his eye to his lap. "Maybe they're right, I'm not what they want me to be, I'm not like Mariano, tall, strong, handsome, perfectly presentable. Maybe I AM weak, maybe that's the reason my own mother didn't care about me."

He took another deep, shaky breath. "I feel like I'm not good enough."

Every part of you wanted to exclaim in shock, to ask him why, but you knew that the best way to deal with this was to let it out. So you linked your fingers together and placed your other hand over them.

He swallowed and gave you a small smile. "My mother's expectations of us were always too high, but my sisters always met them. I couldn't. I couldn't help my family by showing them the future all the time, whereas Julieta was rushing around healing everyone, Pepa was helping the growth of the plants in the garden. Then there was me, discovering that the baker was going to get a pet bird next week."

"I never felt like a proper part of my family. Pepa and Julieta are married, expecting more children, and I didn't have you then. I felt...like nothing I could do would be good enough."

He laughed bitterly, tilting his head back towards the night sky. Your heart broke a little more with each statement that came out of his mouth.

"I don't know, Y/N, I can't change myself, because what kind of life would I be living if it isn't my own?"

You squeezed his hand, and snuggled up against his arm, resting your cheek against his shoulder.

"That's up to you Bruno, but just remember this. I know it sucks, feeling like you'll never be good enough, but just know that to me, you are perfect." His eyes widened slightly as he turned to look at you. "And I love you just the way you are." You smiled.

Bruno stared at you lovingly for a few seconds before he turned and pulled you into a proper embrace. He held you close, pulling his arms around you.

"Thank you so much mi amor. I love you, more than words can describe." He murmured into your hair, pressing a light kiss to your forehead.

You pulled away, looking into his eyes. "Do you believe me now?"

He hesitated for a moment, earning a light slap on his arm from you.

You raised your brow. "The answer is yes." You warned him playfully.

He smiled and nodded. "Yes."

You pressed a kiss to his lips briefly, taking his hand again. "Come on." You jerked your head in the direction of the door, where the soft countertop light was glowing.

He nodded and got up, stretching his limbs, as he had presumably been sat there for a long time. You made your way indoors, and began to climb up the stairs.

"Wait for me, I'll make some hot chocolate for us." He said, a smile lighting up his face. You nodded with a soft smile as you continued going up the stairs.

You snuggled back under the covers and Bruno soon followed after a few minutes carrying a tray with two cups of steaming hot chocolate.

He handed you a cup carefully, and you sat up to take a sip. The two of you sat in comfortable silence for a while, simp lying enjoying your drinks.

Eventually, you began to yawn, the comfort of the drink and Bruno's presence sending you to sleep. Bruno noticed this, and gently took the cup from your hands, putting it back onto the tray.

"Get some sleep mi vida." He murmured, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear gently.

You nodded, your eyes already closing. Before you nodded off, you heard him speak.

"I love you."
——————————————————————
word count: 1266 💚