Chapter 141 - Aura

Start from the beginning

By this time, the angst in the main part of the huge office was drawing to a close. In amongst my researching and emailing, I heard Wallace discussing compensation for the incident to the Big Boss, a guy in his fifties called Brandon – no last name. They came to an arrangement with the little boss – the guy who set his ugly eyes on my new assistant and sent his goons after her. He was gonna lose his job as the night club manager and the whole club was going to be offered as compensation to Sunny and I in shared ownership.

I choked on my spit when I heard that, coughing and tearing up. Grant quickly passed me a glass of warm water to soothe my throat and lungs, while Sunny passed me a tissue to carefully wipe my eyes. Jackson snorted, laughing at me. I gave him a glare. He could have ignored me or given me sympathy, nope. He laughed at me.

Wallace chose that moment to come to our little corner of the large office space and ask if I was alright.

"I'm OK, sorry Dad. I was reading something stimulating and was a little surprised at the increase of my latest investment. I was so shocked, but I'm OK now. Did I interrupt your meeting?" I asked, using my most syrupy voice ever. My step dad raise his eyebrow and pulled in his aura a little at my display of sweet affection. He held out an arm towards me, indicating for me to rise. The men behind him all seemed to loosen their frames a little, slightly relaxing as Wallace put his focus onto me and my team.

I stood up after another sip of water to clear the last of my mishap. I walked slowly and deliberately towards Wallace and wound an arm through his. He turned us both to face the men in the 'business' area of the office.

"This is Big Brandon and his team. Mr Brandon, may I formally introduce to my daughter, Lily Twice. She and her beautiful mother married into our family recently and she has been given all the rights of the Overmeyer clan, legal and otherwise." He paused to let that settle in. I was a little shocked as I heard this but tried really hard not to let it show on my face. Grant started choking on something behind us in the background. He was probably understood more of what Wallace's statement meant than I did.

It really sounded like Wallace was declaring me a legal heir to the Overmeyer Estate, including this corporation and building and everything. Holy Sh%T! I squeezed Wallace's arm in shock, he patted my hand back in return, trying to settle me down.

"Ms Twice, please accept my apologies for my men causing the interruption to your people and for the incident with your car this morning." He pulled out a Lexus key chain and handed me the key.

"Please accept this token of my recompense. It is the latest model, deep blue hybrid SUV Lexus with cream and Shimamoku interior. I'll have the ownership papers delivered to the office here for your legal team." I was glad I was holding onto Wallace right then, as the latest model Lexus was worth about ten of my old second hand SUVs that I currently drive.

I looked up at Wallace, taking the advice that I'd given Sunny in the changing room earlier. He bent his head down to let me whisper in his ear, which I was grateful for as he was really tall.

"Is this acceptable? Would you be happy with this, or should I give the vehicle a pass in lieu of future favours? What would you do, Dad?" I murmured lowly in his ear. He smiled down at me, nodded his head and patted my arm like a proud father. He then turned to my ear and spoke just as quietly.

"Good idea, but never with the underground. Keep things clean and cut with these guys. Let them owe me, never you. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. Take the car, Lily."

I smiled up at him and laughed.

"OK, dad. Thanks." I turned and took the key that Mr Brandon had offered me with both hands.

"Thank you Mr Brandon. I am happy to take the car to replace the one that was damaged today." I stepped back and sat back on the settee between Grant and Sunny, like the queen I was... pretending to be. Eh-hem.

"Ms Twice, my club manager would also like to offer apologies to you and your assistant, Ms Ishida." He thumped his lacky, the ugly one on the back and the brute of a man stepped forward and mumbled his apologies, somewhat disrespectfully. This upset me as we could all see the sneer on his face as he faced Sunny and I. The men behind him could see anything at all. I didn't know if it was because he thought we were children or female or something, but he was totally full of sh%t and I suddenly snapped.

I got up even before he'd finished blubbering on and slapped him hard across the face. His half bend over sycophant frame suddenly stood upright in instant rage as he yelled at me, swearing all manner of filthy words and tried to lay his balled up fist directly on my face. Stupid really, he totally forgot whose office he was now in. Then Wallace was there. Instantly. And I swear to goddess that was the first time I saw – in person – a one inch punch.

SMACK!

That ugly mother rucker was laid out flat in a second and I was pulled into Wallace's arms and his dragon aura went into overdrive. He didn't need to pull a weapon or a non-existent magical shield and he didn't even take into consideration the gang leader's opinion to knocking out the ugly manager. He just stared them down before they had even reached into the coats or vests for any sort of hidden weapon. Everyone. Just. Froze. And stared at the most dangerous predator in the room.

I patted Wallace on the hand, asking him to let me go. I turned to Sunny, pulled her shaking frame off the settee and, holding her hand, I walked right out of the office.

"When you've sorted out your playground politics, you know where to find me, Dad." I threw that over my shoulder on our way out.

OK, so I might have been walking on shaking legs and buckling knees, but I slapped that doosh bag knowing full-well that Wallace would protect me in an instant. Now I was going to leave it up to my step dad to wrangle more than just a stupid night club out of these guys to pay for the filth that came out of his ugly manager's mouth. Arse hats! The lot of them.

Jackson and Grant who had all of our things, caught up with us at the lift lobby. Sunny and I were still holding on to each other as we waited a moment for the lift to arrive and the doors to open. We didn't speak. None of us said a word as we stepped into the lift, turned and watched the doors close. About a minute later Grant finally pressed the car park level button and I lost it.

"Oh my goddess!" I screamed as I crouched down and wailed into my hands, hiding behind of mop of curls and holding myself together. I. Can't. Believe. I. Just. Did. That.

"Never knew you had it in you, Lily." Was the only thing Jackson said as he scooped his shaking girlfriend up into his arms and held her tight. The lift reached the car park level and the doors opened to a very frowning Patricia Palmers looking like she'd rather give me a face slap than a cuddle.

"Stupid girl. Brave girl. Leave it to Wallace to clean up." She had obviously been told about what just happened by someone on Wallace's floor. She quickly helped me up and lead my wobbly self into the old, familiar but now beaten up SUV. She helped everyone into the vehicle, belted us all in and drove away.

"Stupid girl." She mumbled.