chapter 22

"Everyone, this is your new neighbor," Cherry introduced the familiar looking new boy. "His name's Christopher Anderson-Merchant."

The boy, Christopher, looked to Jessica with a smile. "Nice to meet you."

"Oh," Jessica blushed slightly. "Nice to meet you too, Christopher..."

Christopher winked at her, telling her that it was the same Christopher.

Jessica smiled with a blush. "I hope you love home-cooking, Mom's great it."

"Yeah, she really is." Darla added, smiling to him.

"Well then, I'll go and talk to my parents and see if we can come over for dinner then." Christopher said.

"Sounds lovely..." Jessica still blushed to him, smiling. 

"Looks like your boyfriend got to move into the neighborhood." Atticus whispered to his older sister.

Jessica blushed, gawking at him. "Yes, how fortunate..." she mumbled, embarrassed that he called Christopher her boyfriend.

"How romantic." Darla giggled, she then happily skipped inside to tell Patrick and Emily the news.

Atticus joined Darla to tell their parents. 

"Sure our new neighbors can come to dinner," Patrick smiled. "Mom's making a big dinner for us too."

"I thought it'd be nice after the little adventure we all had." Emily giggled as she slid off her oven mitts after putting a honey baked ham into the oven for her family.

"Yay!" Atticus and Darla cheered.

"It'll be ready in about 10 minutes." Emily smiled.

"Should be enough time for our new neighbors to be settled and come over." Patrick added.

"I know Christopher will love living next door." Darla couldn't help but tease Jessica, she never really got to have an older sibling to tease about these things before, whether she was in the orphanage or a child star.

"Darla!" Jessica glared at her adoptive sister.

Darla giggled, unable to contain herself.

"NOW, now, that's enough," Emily sorted her children out. "We'll all get along nicely, be nice to your sister, Atticus and Darla."

"Yeah, be nice to your sister, guys." Jessica repeated jokingly.

"Jessica?" Patrick scolded his oldest daughter.

"Oh, sorry, Dad..." Jessica said sheepishly.

Patrick chuckled, gently patting her on the head. "I suppose siblings always do this to one another."

"I know I did..." Emily murmured with a small smile, she remembered when she, Athena, and the other girls met Triton for the first time. "Let's get dinner sorted." she said, so they could all sit down, eat, and have fun.

"Yes, ma'am." Atticus said.

Cherry mentioned she was going out with her other friends tonight so had to miss dinner, but Christopher came and hung out with Jessica on the couch until dinner would be ready.

"How do you remember me?" Jessica had to ask. "I have to know..."

"Your beautiful eyes." Christopher said.

Jessica blushed, giggling a little. "Surely more than that... I'm not that pretty... People say I look like my mom though."

"That may be true, but it really was your eyes and you are wearing the necklace." Christopher said, pointing to Jessica's necklace.

Jessica blinked and put her hand on the necklace with a smile. "My cousin Ariel gave it to me."

"I'm the one that requested that she give it to you." Christopher said.

Jessica blinked. "R-Really...?"

"Really." Christopher said.

Jessica's eyes twinkled as his did the same. They were about to share a kiss until they were called to dinner.

"Coming!" Jessica yelled out, then looked to Christopher with a smile. "Let's go... Mom makes the best food."

"So I hear, I hope I get to sit next to you." Christopher said before he got up.

Jessica smiled, leading him in.

Emily served everyone, helping them with their dinner, she got sparkling apple cider for everyone to drink. "I hope you all enjoy... I know most of you will."

Patrick thought of something as he raised his glass, making the others do the same. "To Athena."

"To Athena." they all said in response, clinking their glasses and taking a drink before they started to eat.

They all then took a sip of the apple cider. "And welcome to the neighborhood." Emily smiled to Christopher and his parents. She then cut the ham, ready for seconds. 

Jessica smiled to Christopher, Darla smiled to her family, and this would be a summer vacation neither of them would forget.

 The End