Chapter 79

(before you find where I live and stone me, just... please don't. Trust the process angels)

.

When I slowly regain consciousness, I need to orient myself for a moment. I was in such a deep state of sleep, I have no idea if I've just woken from a five minute nap or a five days long one. My heart starts beating quicker and harder as I blink the sleep away, confusion settling in. It takes me a minute to realize I'm not in a Hydra cell. It's too dark. I'm not in Stark's tower either. It's too cramped. Claustrophobic. I'm in Wanda's cabin. I'm in the present. We've escaped Hydra. We're back in the now. We're alright.

I take a deep, shuddering breath, my eyes quickly adjusting to the dark surroundings, picking up the shapes and figures of the old, worn furniture around me. My heart starts to calm down as I repeat what I know is true in my head, always ending with we're alright. I turn my head, my aching neck displeased with the way I've slept. I quickly push away that thought as I realize I'm alone on the couch once more. There is no we in the we're alright. Wanda's no longer keeping me company. The sight of the empty end of the couch makes me shiver, the air around me suddenly a lot colder and my heart sinks in my chest, seemingly unhappy with the sight. I sigh and sit up, stretching my worn body out. Nothing hurts, not even the place I got shot not even a day ago. I just feel so tired, like there's no energy in me at all. I would stay on the couch, but my curiosity wins and I stand up looking around the dusty cabin. There's no sign of Wanda anywhere, so I assume she's retreated back into her room.

I tiptoe out to the front door, opening it quietly, for some reason needing to breathe in some fresh air, the walls of the cabin too restrictive and confining, making it hard for me to take a deep breath.

The front door creaks slightly on its hinges as I push it open, remembering how eons ago I did the same, whilst dragging the body of that agent Wanda accidentally killed. I shudder at the thought, giving my head a little shake to clear it of the vivid image. I distract myself, using the view that meets my eyes as distraction. It works amply. The meadow in front of the cabin stretches out until it transitions into the smooth, still waters of the lake. There's not a breeze to be felt, but the air is still icy cold nonetheless. It's still dark outside, but there is that little twinge of morning in the darkness, a promise of light. The trees on the horizon are still, dark and knowing. There's not a sound to be heard. The fresh air hits my lungs and burns on the way in, a burning I revel in, finally being able to breathe after so long. I close my eyes and just stand there, leaning slightly against the railing of the porch, focusing on my breathing and the smells I can smell. Old wood, grass, freedom.

In for four.

Hold for four.

Out for four.

Hold for four.

In, and out.

Then a minute sound breaks the silence. It's enough to send my heart racing again, something it did not use to do so easily before. I jolt around, facing the direction the sound came from, my legs feeling like jelly and I feel like a bunny knowing a fox is near.

"Fuck!" I exclaim as my heart drums against my chest, breathing out heavily.

"Didn't mean to scare you." Wanda calmly replies, her voice thick.

She tilts her head slightly, watching me. She's sitting on a big, old chair, her legs folded underneath her and that mug still in between her hands. I must've been so focused on the view that I completely missed her in the process, lurking in the shadows. She's just wearing her grey sweatpants and a white shirt to match, her cardigan resting behind her back on the back of the chair. She should be cold, but she doesn't look bothered at all.