Chapter 73

"Well, well, look at you two." I jump, lifting my head so quickly I swear I tear a muscle in my neck.

I was so in my own world, I did not even register the door to the cell opening, and I wish I would have, because staring into the cold eyes of Strucker without any mental preparation is not my idea of fun.

I sneak a glance at Wanda, who is sitting cross-legged with a straight back on my left. The distance between us sends my heart further down on its journey to leave my body. Wanda turns her head slightly and meets my eyes with a blank face. I know she knows I've been crying, but she makes zero indication of giving a damn. Blankly she looks back at Strucker. I do the same, feeling my heart sink.

I notice Strucker's not even bothered to enter with the support of any of her guards. She's standing there, all alone, her fitted black suit immaculate as per usual. She's wearing a pleased grin on her face and I could so easily just... and yet I know that if she is standing there by herself, I have no chance.

"Who are you?" Wanda's low voice breaks the silence, her accent making her tongue roll slightly longer over her 'r'.

"Hmm. Looks like our scientists have done a marvelous job with her, would you not agree, Olivia?" Strucker uses my real name for a change and looks from Wanda to me, and I know that if I ever get the chance, I won't think twice about taking her life.

"She'll remember." I coldly challenge her, feeling a little bit like a stubborn toddler, which only earns a mirthless chuckle from the woman.

"She might. But we'll have used her by then." Strucker sighs deeply, her thin, painted lips still upturned.

"I don't appreciate being talked about like I am not here." Wanda speaks again, looking at Strucker with what I notice is a hint of dislike.

"No, of course, you don't." Strucker's smile broadens and she walks towards us, looking at Wanda like she is beholding her favorite animal at the zoo. Her heels click hollowly as she approaches.

Wanda stiffens up as she is approached, but she doesn't look away from Strucker. I know Wanda must be so confused as to why she is feeling the way she's feeling, without knowing why. I remember having those same weird emotions when I was still under the chair's control, feeling one way but having no idea where the feeling came from. I don't understand how I've now managed to regain control of my memories, but not of my body. I know I don't have a chance of getting us out of here until I can fully shake Strucker's control. I watch Wanda's profile, hoping they haven't installed the same sort of verbal switch as they have with me and Barnes.

"Oh, Wanda, Wanda. It's so nice to be able to start fresh." Strucker leans down, squatting in front of Wanda.

Strucker turns her head to me, gives me a smile, then lifts a pale, spider-like hand to Wanda's face, pushing a strand of hair behind her ears. I feel my blood boil as Wanda jerks her head away from Strucker, her nose scrunched up in anger. Strucker looks at me again and smiles anew, and I know exactly what she is trying to do.

"I have so much to fill you up on Wanda, dear." Strucker breaks eye contact with me and fixes her gaze on her next prey, the one she has been waiting for, starving for.

"Why am I locked up?" Wanda asks Strucker, her voice deceivingly flat and toneless.

"Oh, honey, you're not locked up. You're here as my guest." Strucker's honeyed voice laced with poisonous lies contrast Wanda's flat tone. "Come with me, I would love to treat you for some dinner, with me, and I promise to answer all of your questions."
Wanda glances over at me. I shake my head, but Wanda doesn't react. Her lips purse slightly, and then she looks back at Strucker who pushes herself up to standing and extends a hand to Wanda. I watch all of this unfold silently, as though I've lost my will to fight.