Valentine

(Modern Day, They're Not Spies)

It was incredibly windy outside.
     Seriously, Owen's hair was obscuring his vision even though he had gone even more overboard than usual with the gel. Nevertheless, he couldn't keep himself from smiling. Because it was his and Curt's first Valentine's Day together.
     Owen had always thought Valentine's Day was a stupid holiday. He hated the people who would post obnoxious photos with their partners and the people who would come to work to find roses and red tin foil-wrapped, heart-shaped chocolates on their desks.
     But, most of all, he hated that he was always left out of it. He hated being alone in his apartment when all he wanted was someone to be with. He had never cared about the chocolates or the roses or the pictures. He just wanted to be with someone.
     And, this year, he finally would be. He had only known Curt ten months, but they had been ten of the best in his whole life. And he was going all out to celebrate that. He was walking along the street, just a mile or so from his apartment - Curt didn't live there, but he may as well have considering the amount of time he spent there - carrying a bag with a box of heart-shaped chocolates, a bouquet of red roses, and he was holding a red heart-shaped balloon in his other hand. He could feel bitter stares landing on him as he walked, and he was fully aware that he had become everything he was determined to hate. But he didn't care. Maybe the flowers and chocolates weren't so bad.
     He thought to himself about what they were going to do that night. Curt was cooking spaghetti bolognese and they were going to watch a Disney movie. It was fairly simple, but it was what they had both agreed on. Neither one wanted to go to a bar and get drunk or spend hundreds in a fancy restaurant. They would rather have a quiet night in with a glass of wine and an arguably excessive amount of chocolate.
     Absorbed in his own thoughts, he didn't even realise when one handle of the bag fell off of his arm and the chocolates fell out. By the time he was on the ground frantically trying to get to them, the box had blown onto the road and all of the chocolates had either been run over or partially unwrapped on the ground.
     But he still kept smiling. Curt will have bought chocolate. I didn't really need those anyway. They were just an empty gesture.
     It had been pretty windy all day, but, when he turned the corner onto the street where his apartment was, he was nearly knocked back into the wall with how strong it was. And, in his struggle, the flowers fell, flying back round the corner before he could catch them.
     It's fine. Refilling the water would have been quite annoying anyway. It's better this way.
     He still didn't let the smile falter. And he walked down the street he would walk every night after work. He was so close to seeing Curt. So close to spending a Valentine's Day with a man he cared about. He really had never thought this day would come. He really thought nothing could spoil his happiness.
     Until, just as he opened the door to the building, the silver ribbon attached to the balloon untied itself and slipped through his fingers. He grasped and jumped wildly for it, but it was useless. The balloon was gone.
     As he walked up the stairs, the smile totally disappeared. He thought he didn't care about any of those empty gestures. But it wasn't about that. He had planned everything perfectly. He bought everything he needed on his way home from work, and he was then supposed to have a perfect night with his boyfriend.
     But everything had gone wrong. That chance was gone. It floated away with the balloon.
     The door handle nearly slipped away under his hand since his fingers were wet with tears. He tried to dry his eyes once more so that Curt wouldn't see him cry, but it was useless. He opened the door and walked inside, immediately smelling the bolognese. It nearly made him smile again.
     "Hey, Owen. How was work?"
     He hung up his jacket. "Fine. How's your day been?" Owen said, his voice strained.
     Curt turned around, putting the wooden spoon down. "You okay?"
     Owen sat on the couch, letting his face fall into his hands. Curt ran over, sitting and putting an arm around him.
     "What happened?"
     "I messed everything up. I had it all planned. The chocolates, the roses, the balloon. And it's all gone. Tonight was meant to be perfect. But I've ruined it."
     Curt laughed. "Owen, it's okay. Nothing is ruined. I don't care about all of that. I care about spending Valentine's day with the man I love."
     Owen was silent for a second. Then he looked up at Curt. "The man you what?"
     Curt smiled. "You heard me. I love you."
     Owen's smile was back. "I love you too."
     "Isn't that what today is really about?"
     "I guess so."
     "Plus, you know I have the chocolate covered."
     "Yeah. That's true." Owen's gaze drifted out the window. And he abruptly stood up, walking over to the balcony.
     "Owen? What is it?"
     He walked outside, his hand closing around a silver ribbon that had caught on the balcony railing. He turned to Curt, holding his hand out. "Happy Valentine's Day, love."
     Curt smiled, taking the balloon. "Happy Valentine's Day. Guess the balloon was just trying to make a more dramatic appearance. Wonder where it learned that from."
     "It's a ballon. I don't think it did any of this deliberately."
     "I wouldn't be so sure. You're pretty dramatic. I think it's spreading even to inanimate objects."
     "Is this just because I cried over losing chocolates, roses and a balloon on Valentine's day when I didn't think I gave a shit about the holiday?"
     "No. There are so many other contributing incidents."
     "I'm not that bad."
     "Yes you are."
     Owen pouted. "Thought you said you loved me."
     Curt smiled. "Yeah." Then he kissed Owen. "I do."

~

(A/N: 🎶I've become what I hated🎶)