Chapter 7. Road to Elms Shade

Start from the beginning

                As they topped the last hill, they could see Elms Shade in the distance.  Smiles finally broke out on to some of the faces, for the first time since the attack on the village.  The rain had finally let up a couple hours earlier, and things seemed like they were going the right away for the first time in a long time.  Ceel waved them to continue following her, and they headed down the hill, only a couple short hours of travel away from a warm place to stay and food.  Galvin taking up the rear again looked behind them before starting down the hill.  In the distance he noticed something disturbing. 

                There were figures moving, it was hard to make out if they were humans, goblins or something else, or even how many there were.  But still, it made Galvins stomach tight.  The group behind them wouldn’t make it to Elms Shade tonight, but they would definitely be there mid day tomorrow.  Debating on if he should let everyone else know, he headed down to catch up with the rest of his party. 

                He could see a scout from Elms Shade riding on horseback to come meet them.  Galvin quickly caught up the group as the scout closed the distance.

                “What should we tell them happened?”  Galvin asked Ceel and Persin, the three of them seemingly forming the leadership of the survivors. 

                “We should tell them the truth.  They need to be prepared in case the goblins come this way.” Persin said to Galvin, and then looked at Ceel.

                “You’re probably right.  I don’t want to worry them, but they need to be prepared in case.”  Ceel agreed.  They both looked over at Galvin.

                “Agreed.” Galvin said, trying not to show his nervousness about what he had seen.  The townsfolk deserved one good night of rest after what they had been through he thought to himself.

                The scout from Elms Shade caught up to them, reigning his horse in a few feet away.  He was wearing a long green cape and had leather armor covering most of his body.  A short blade hung on his right side, as well as a quiver of arrows and a bow on his back.

                “Hail travellers, what brings you to our town?”  The man said, directing the question to the three of them, while his gaze wandered over the rest of the group.

                What a wreck we must look like Galvin thought.  “Our village was attacked and burned by a group of goblins.  We are the only survivors left.  As you can see, most of the survivors are children.  We request shelter for the night and some food if you have any to spare.”  Galvin said quietly, not meeting the eyes of the scout.

                “Aye, it seems like you’ve seen better days.  The name is Aldric, I’ll lead you back to the town where we’ll see what we can find for you.” Aldric looked at them again, his gaze pausing at Ceel.  He looked at her intently before speaking.  “You look like you’re with infection.  I can see your strength waning just standing there.”  As he spoke, Galvin looked over at her and noticed he was right.  Ceel did seem weaker than before.  The arm must be draining her strength more than she was letting on.  Aldric continued “Can you ride?”

                “I’ll be fine, we’re almost there.  I just need a good nights re-“ Ceel started to say before her eyes went blank and she collapsed in a heap on the ground before them. 

                Aldric leapt off of his horse and Persin and Galvin rushed to her side.

                “Ceel!  Wake up Ceel!” Persin screamed, holding her head in his hands.

                Aldric strode up to her and without a word, scooped her from the ground and into his arms.  “We’ll have to tie her to the horse.  She doesn’t have long.” Aldric said as he was already digging through the saddle bags for some rope. 

                Persin rung his hands in worry, but realized that Aldric was right.  “I’ll get the rest of the group moving again.  We need to get to town as fast as we can.”

                Aldric nodded, and then climbed back onto the horse, Ceel braced in front of him.  “Meet me at the Boars Tail Tavern.  I’ll ride ahead and get a priest.”  Aldric said as he spurred his horse into motion.

                Galvin just stood dumbfounded.  Everything happened so fast.  Seeing Ceel collapse had brought him back to the field, when the goblins had first attacked.  He felt helpless again.  He just watched, in a daze, as Persin roused the townsfolk, and slowly a feeling of jealousy crept up in him.  He wished he could have been the one to rescue Ceel, take her to safety.  He should have been the one riding back into town with her, there to help her through it.  The last of his thoughts were cut off, as Persin interrupted.

                “Galvin, let’s go.  We’re waiting for you.” Persin said calmly, seeing the emotions playing across Galvins face. 

                Galvin felt a flush of embarrassment before turning around and heading down to the Elms Shade.  Pushing his feelings down, he lead them down the town, arriving just before nightfall.  The Boars Tail tavern was easy to find, sitting near the outskirts of the town.  Galvin swallowed, took a deep breath and headed in, afraid of what he might find. 

                The door swung open leading into a well lit common room.  There were a few townsfolk here and there, just coming in from the fields or from a days work for a meal or gossip.  Galvin motioned for the rest of his group to remain outside, and he strode towards the innkeeper, a big man standing behind the counter.

                The man looked over at him as he approached and started to speak.  “You must be Galvin.  Aldric told me to expect you.  My name is Tuck.  They’re waiting for you upstairs, first room on the left.  As for the rest of your band, the priest has offered up the common area of the church for them.  One of the sisters is preparing a meal for you.” Tuck said in a deep matter of fact manner. 

                “Th-Thank you very much sir.”  Galvin muttered as he rushed outside, telling the rest of them the good news.  Galvin pointed to the church as he spoke, and turned to head back in.

                “Galvin, I would like to see Ceel as well, but one of us should remain with our people.  She is all the family I have left.” Persin stated, stopping Galvin in his tracks.  Galvin turned back around and started walking towards Persin.  “It’s fine, go and see her.  Just remember that the rest of us care about her too.” Persin finished with a wink.

                Galvin feeling embarrassed again tried to stutter a thanks, but couldn’t find the words.  He just turned and headed back into the tavern, eager to see Ceel once more.