Chapter 7. Road to Elms Shade

Chapter 7.

                The group ran through the forest until the rays of the sun started to poke through the thick canopy of the forest.  Galvin finally called a halt to their escape and everyone collapsed to the ground, resting against trees or some of the more moss covered rocks.  Galvin leaned back against a tree, thinking of the previous night and what the next steps were.

                Ceel caught up to him, and leaned against the tree with him. 

                “8 people, Galvin.”  Ceel whispered quietly.  “Only 8 survived the attack, including us, that makes 10.  Persin is among them, and the rest are mostly kids.  What are we going to do?”

                Galvin looked down at the ground.  He wasn’t much of a leader, and wasn’t comfortable in this position.  He knew that Ceel needed proper medical care for her arm, and they needed to find shelter for the rest of the group.  Elms Shade was south of their position, and gauging by the distance they had covered, they could be on the road in just a couple of hours.  But that would mean travelling down a road not often travelled, while there were still an unknown amount of goblins around, and an ogre.  The alternative though, staying in the forest, seemed like a much worse idea.

                “We’ll travel to Elms Shade in the south, and tell them what happened.  After that I need to head to the mountains and report the incident to the mages council.  The wizard had a council ring…” Galvin trailed off, thinking of the journey that was starting to loom in front of him. 

                “That makes sense.” Ceel nodded her head wearily, agreeing with the Halfling.  “We should leave now, before exhaustion sets in.  If we travel all day today and tomorrow we can be at Elms Shade before the sun sets tomorrow eve.”

                Persin piped up from a few feet away, surprising both Galvin and Ceel “I’ll start getting them ready.  I don’t know how to say thank you enough, but thank you.  Not everyone would have come for us.” Persin said, looking at first Ceel, and then letting his gaze rest upon Galvin.  “It was a brave thing to do.”  And with that Persin turned and started shaking the group awake, speaking in a hushed tone and issuing words of encouragement to the rest of the townsfolk.

                Galvin shook his head and looked up at the sky to get his bearings.  The clouds looked to be getting darker and if he had to guess, they would be in for some rain.  It would make travel miserable, but it would also muffle the sound their passing through the forest.  Looking behind him and seeing most of the group ready, he set off, heading West towards the long road to Elms Shade.

*

The rest of the day passed without incident.  A few of the remaining townsfolk thanked Ceel and Galvin, but mostly people seemed to want to be alone with their thoughts.  They trudged along in silence, following Galvin at the front, with Ceel bringing up the rear.  Throughout this, Persin was often seen giving a reassuring hug, or sharing soft words when some of them wanted to give up.  He would gently hold their hand and walk with them, telling them stories of far away places. 

                Before they knew it, nightfall was upon them.  Out of the cover of the forest and on the road, they hadn’t seen a single other traveller.  They didn’t have any camping gear with them, and the rain was still drizzling down upon them.  The group huddled together for warmth, but dared not light a fire.  Galvin, Ceel and Persin shared turns taking watch, with Ceel rousing them all at sunrise.  Just one more day of travel and they would need to figure out their next steps.

                Ceel lead them this day, with Galvin taking up behind them.  Ceels arm was in serious need of attention, and looked and smelled like it might be coming down with infection.  Ceel was constantly sweating, and Persin had a concerned look on his face every time he left her side.  Still, there was nothing they could do until they reached the town.  Galvin just hoped she would make it that long.