forty seven.

bababab

——

— your pov! —

"Welcome home, pa," I call out, putting the vegetables I just cut up into a pot.

"Hola, mija," My dad says, sighing as he stretches before going to check on my mom. I focus on finishing up lunch, feeling myself growing hungry.

— camilo's pov! —

I rush home as I realize it's almost lunch time, eager to eat and then relax in my room for a bit. Though, I soon crash into my eldest cousin.

"Mph!" I exclaim, having run into Isabela's back. I look up, "Heyy, prima!" I say, trying to slide my way past her. Isabela smiles, "There you are! I've been meaning to ask what happened last night!" She mentions, quickly grabbing my ruana and dragging me inside the casita.

I try to wiggle out of her hold, but Dolores soon appears, "We have lots of questions!" She says, following Isabela as she drags me along. I huff, soon being dropped onto the floor after Isabela lets go of me. I groan, rubbing the back of my head as I watch my sister and eldest cousin take a seat next to each other on a nearby hammock.

"Go on," Isabela says, giving me a smug smile. I sigh, "You guys seem really interested in what's going on, why is that?" I ask, sitting up to properly face them. Isabela speaks up, "It's obvious you like her, and pretty ridiculous you two aren't dating yet. You've had so many chances to tell her how you feel, so tell her already!" She says, lightly swinging her legs.

"What if-" I start, being cut off by Dolores, "You've let your doubts hold you back, just tell her how you feel!" She urges, "You also basically confessed to her last night, she was just unconscious," Dolores adds, Isabela snapping her head to face my sister. "What?!" She asks, baffled.

"I heard it! I was rooting for him and everything, but she was asleep!" Dolores says while laughing quietly, tia Julietta soon announcing that lunch was ready. Dolores and Isabela stand up, speaking as I stood up myself.

"Just tell her soon how you feel, what's the worst that could happen?" Dolores asks, Isabela nodding along, "And if that boy who she was dancing with hears you two aren't actually dating, don't you think he'll jump at that chance?" Isabela asks rhetorically, walking off towards the table.

I watch as both girls walk off, taking their seats at the table. I think to myself as I join the table, my thoughts racing throughout my meal.

— your pov! —

I pour soup into different bowls, announcing that the food was ready to the house. I soon hear Esperanza rush into the kitchen, hopping into her chair as she waits for her bowl.

"One moment, Esperanza, I'm gonna take this bowl to mami," I say, picking up a small plate of soft veggies and a bowl with soup and rice, walking it to my parent's room.

I softly push the door open, thankful the door was left ajar as I had my hands full.

"Hola mami," I say softly, placing the food on her bedside table. My mom hums, groaning softly as she adjusts herself to sit up.

"You need to go to the doctor, ma," I say, handing my mom her bowl of soup once she's properly adjusted herself. "I think you're right, the baby should've been here by now," My mom says, looking over at the crib my dad had recently built for the baby.

I nod, "Let me know when you're done eating," I say, barely noticing my dad wasn't around. "Y pa? He was just here, where did he go?" I ask, looking around briefly.

"He went out to buy supplies to make Esperanza a proper bed," My mom whispers, "We're also looking into renovating the house so Esperanza will have her own room," She adds, taking small sips of her soup. I nod, relieved I wouldn't have to share my room.

"When do you plan on going to the doctor?" I ask, looking at my mom. "Maybe tomorrow, I think I can hold out for one more day," My mom says, shrugging casually. "I'll remind you, you said the same thing a few weeks ago and look at you now!" I say, to which my mom laughs a bit and waves me off.

I smile and leave her room, walking back into the kitchen to grab Esperanza's bowl of soup and veggies before serving her.

Esperanza looks up at me as I serve her, "When will the doll be done?" She asks me, "In a while," I reply, softly patting Esperanza's head before I walk over to the stove, serving myself a bowl of soup before storing the rest for my dad.

I pick up my bowl and take my seat at the table, listening to Esperanza tell me a scary story she recently heard from another kid.

——

ba ba bum