forty one.

there is a note at the end of the chapter!
——

— your pov! —

I sigh, sweeping up around the house as Esperanza's giggles come from the outside. I finish sweeping and move onto the dishes, only having a few chores left before I'm free to laze around the house.

I rinse off each dish before scrubbing them clean, wiping them off and setting them up to dry as I continue washing other dishes. When I've left most dishes to dry, I decide to do laundry.

I pick up Esperanza's dirty clothes, gathering them in a basket before moving onto my own dirty clothes. I decide to do Esperanza's clothes first, picking up her basket before walking outside and picking up the soap.

I lay out Esperanza's clothes and dampen them with a small cup of water, rinsing down her shirts before scrubbing them with soap.

I hear a familiar voice walking down the path, and I instinctively turn my head to look who it is.

I watch as Camilo walks down the path with a girl, a girl I haven't seen before or met. I feel my heart ache slightly, noticing Camilo make eye contact with me for a split second before returning his gaze to the girl.

I look away, returning my eyes to the laundry in front of me. I feel my heart ache slightly, though I push my feelings away as I apply more soap to Esperanza's clothes.

'Maybe she's why he pushed me away, he's had someone else on his mind and taking up his time.' I think to myself, harshly scrubbing as my mind rambles, 'I'm a fool for letting myself think I had a shot.' I huff, rinsing the soap off Esperanza's clothes.

I set her clothes up to dry, hanging them up on a clothesline. I shake my hands a bit, working out a small finger cramp, before moving onto my own laundry.

— camilo's pov! —

I smile as I mindlessly walk down a path towards the market, making small chat with Mari as we walk. I will admit it was nice to reunite after several years, and talking to her was a nice distraction from everything going on.

"It was weird coming back, seeing how you've changed and all!" Mari says, rambling on about whatever came to her mind. I nod, "Yeah, time's passed and everyone's changed," I agree, looking over at Mari.

I notice that I'm walking right in front of (Y/n)'s house, (Y/n) and I making slight eye contact before I move my gaze back to Mari. I instantly feel tense and a bit awkward, having pushed her away earlier out of anger.

I shake it off, trying not to think of it as to not throw Mari off and potentially make the conversation awkward as well. I continue chatting with Mari as we walk, soon arriving at the market and walking off towards the booths together.

— your pov! —

I sigh as I hang up my last shirt to dry, stretching a bit before I head inside. "Hey, Esperanza, what would you like for lunch?" I ask, to which Esperanza giggles out a, "Taco!"

I nod and pull out the ingredients to make tortillas, opening up the fridge to see what kind of meat I had in stock.

I groan as I realize there is no meat, Esperanza typically not eating anything without meat in it. I drag my feet as I walk to my parent's room, knocking slightly before peeking in. I hear my mom let out a, "Hm?"

"Mami, there's no more meat and Esperanza wants tacos. Do I go to the market or should I wait?" I ask, shyly rubbing my arm as I talk.

"You can go to the market, but just this once," My mom says, "I feel too weak to go," She finishes, yawning before drifting off to sleep.

I gently close the door, doing my best to make sure no noise disrupts my mom from her nap. I sneak away from the door before lightly freshening up, exiting the house and closing the door behind me.

I walk over to Esperanza as she plays in the path, stopping her briefly to ask, "Do you wanna come with me to the market? Or do you want to stay here and play?"

I watch as Esperanza pauses for a second, audibly going, "Hmmm," as she picks up some of her toys. "Market!" She excitedly calls out, lightly grabbing my arm. I smile, "Okay, okay," as I follow her.

Esperanza and I start making our way to the market, Esperanza babbling about getting a new doll while I mentally check off everything I need to buy.

Meat..
Fruit..
Corn flour..
Vegetables..

"(Y/n), could you make me a new doll?" Esperanza innocently asks, looking up at me with puppy eyes as she gently tugs on my arm. I look at her and laugh a bit, "Sure, I have nothing else to do at home when I'm done cleaning," I say, mentally adding a few new things to the list.

Fabric..
Yarn..
Buttons..

——
i have been recovering and i'm feeling well enough again to start writing and uploading chapters! :))

while i was on my short break, i continued to see people supporting the book and leaving sweet comments/dms :) thank you!

i plan on doing a valentines special as it is right around the corner <3

anyways, chapters will resume being uploaded! consider following/voting to show support :)