eight.

bambam

————

I walk over to the kitchen sink, offering to help my mom who was washing the dishes. My mom scoots over a bit, giving me enough room to wash dishes besides her. We stand in silence for a bit before she speaks.

"The Madrigal kids you had over are so polite! Are the parents like that aswell?" She asks, scrubbing the food stains off the plates.

"The family as a whole is so polite from what I've seen so far. Mirabel's and Camilo's parents raised them well." I say, rinsing the soap off the dishes I scrubbed. I suddenly remembered the invitation to Antonio's gift ceremony.

"We were invited to Antonio's gift ceremony." I say, looking over at my mom. She thought for a second before asking, "Oh? When is it?"

"It's in two days. Would you like to go with me?" I ask, drying off some plates with a rag. My mom sighs a bit, replying with, "I don't think I can go, Mija. The doctor in town says I'm due any moment now, the baby is coming sooner than expected. Though, Your dad can take you and Esperanza! I'll just have to stay home just incase anything happens." I nod, understanding she can't go.

Esperanza overhears our conversation, immediately asking papa if we can go. He chuckles a bit before nodding, "Yes, of course we can go! I'm just as excited as you are to see the new gift." Esperanza laughs a bit before running off to the living room, sitting down to play with her toys.

Mama and I finish cleaning the dishes. She walks towards the table to try and wipe it down, but my dad softly nudges her away.

"Let me clean! I can do it!" My mom says, trying to nudge him out of the way. "No, go sit down, amor! You're about to have a baby, go sit with Esperanza." He insists, already wiping down the table. My mom playfully huffs before walking over to the couch, holding her stomach as she walked.

I smile at the interaction, drying and putting away the last of the dishes before wiping my hands. I look out the window and see it's still pretty early. "May I go out? I want to go see what Mirabel is up to!" I say, swaying a bit as I look at my parents.

"Just for Mirabel? Not for Camilo toooo?" My dad teases, dragging out his words. I pout, shaking my head before grabbing my bag. My dad smiles before shooing me out the door, trying to be quiet since my mom had quickly fallen asleep on the couch.

I smile and wave before heading out the door, closing it behind me.

——

I see Mirabel in the distance, walking up to her before calling out to her. "Mirabel, hola!" Mirabel looks up, seeing me and smiling. "Hey, (Y/n)! What's up?" She asks.

"Not much! I just wanted to see what you're up to now." I say, walking with her. She smiles before holding up a small box, with stuffing and crayons inside of it.

"Oh? Are you making a gift?" I ask, to which she nods. "It's for Antonio! He moves out of the nursery and into his own room soon, so I thought it'd be nice to give him a little plush made by me! So he'll always have something to keep him company and snuggle with." She says, smiling to herself.

"Awe, that's so sweet of you! I'm sure he'll like it!" I say, to which Mirabel replies with, "Hopefully!" We both laugh a bit before we reach the plaza, where the market is.

Mirabel and I stop by a few booths, picking out more decorations, new thread and fabric for Mirabel. I separate from her for a bit to buy some fruit for us to snack on.

After I bought us some mangos, I look around for Mirabel, spotting her by Julietta. She wasn't holding the box from earlier, which I found a bit weird. However, I shrugged it off and walked up to her, seeing her smiling at her mom before grabbing a few buñuelos and trying to rush off.

"Mirabel, there you are! I've been looking for you!" I say, holding the fruit out towards her. Mirabel stares at me for a bit before Julietta speaks up.

"Camilo, stop pretending to be Mirabel so you can take food!" Julietta says while laughing softly, "You can always ask for some!"

I stand in shock for a bit, watching Camilo shift back into himself before huffing, putting the buñuelos he stole into his mouth. He chews for a bit before turning towards me, seeing the fruit I had.

"I mean, if you're offering.." Camilo starts, reaching for a mango I was holding. I laugh before pulling it away, holding it behind me. Camilo smiles before trying to get the mango, reaching behind me to grab it but barely missing each time because I kept turning.

We laugh and continue playing around for a bit before he smiles mischievously at me. "Camilo? What's on your mind.." I start, being interrupted by him suddenly tickling me. I laugh and my legs instantly collapse, Camilo quickly picking me up before I hit the ground. We laugh together a bit before he gently sets me down.

"Now do you surrender? Or do I have to convince you some more?" Camilo playfully taunts, holding up his fingers. I nod, "I surrender! I surrender!"

Camilo smiles proudly as I hand him the mango, watching him excitedly bite into it. I smile at him before picking up a mango myself and eating it. We smile and nod contently at each other as we enjoy our fruit. 'It's good I bought a spare mango..' I think.

——

whoahh some cutesy flirty stuff whoahh