nineteen.

— camilo's pov! —

I walk down a couple paths, not really minding my surroundings as I aimlessly wander around, my eyes set on the ground. I lightly kick rocks around, jolting when I hear a familiar voice call my name.

'Shoot,' I think to myself, hesitantly looking up and seeing (Y/n) with Esperanza in her arms. I smile before greeting them, "Oh, hey (Y/n)! Hola Esperanza!"

Esperanza smiles back, excitedly waving at me while she holds onto (Y/n)'s top for balance. "Hola Camilo!"

"What are you doing here?" (Y/n) asks as she lightly bounces Esperanza, a slightly confused expression on her face.

"Well, I was heading back home," I start, lightly rubbing the back of my head, "But I kinda got lost for a bit. I know where to go from here though, so I'll be okay!" I finish, grinning confidently.

"Thats good," (Y/n) replies, lightly swaying. I nod before asking, "See you tonight, right?" to which (Y/n) nods. We both exchange a smile before parting and going our own ways. I smile at Esperanza as she waves me bye, hurriedly rushing off after.

"That wasn't so bad," I tell myself, "Out of all the places to end up, why did it have to be right by her house." I huff, mentally scolding myself for failing at avoiding (Y/n) like I had planned. 'She did confirm I'll see her tonight,' I think to myself, feeling a small smile form on my lips, 'I could take that as a chance to get close to her!' I plan, remembering what Isabella had told me earlier.

I look up and notice I was nearing the casita, quickly shaking off any other thoughts I had including (Y/n). I didn't want my thoughts to wander too far.

— back to your pov! —

Esperanza and I walk into our house, greeted by the smell of food. I hear my dad greet us with, "Welcome back!" As he walks out the kitchen, holding up a plate of chicken. I watch as my mom walks out of her bedroom, smiling warmly as Esperanza runs up to her, "Let's eat quickly and get ready to go to the Madrigals, okay?"

Esperanza giggles before running towards the table, climbing into her chair as her plate of food is placed in front of her. I nod and take my seat, waiting a bit before eating as to not burn myself on the hot meal.

I eat while listening to Esperanza and my dad chat away, guessing how tonight will go.

"Esperanza, can you bring the dishes to the sink?" I ask, wiping down the table to get rid of any crumbs.

"But I don't wanna! I need to get ready!" Esperanza whines, trying to braid her hair.

"I'll help you get ready if you help me clean," I say, "We'll be able to leave a lot sooner if you help."

Esperanza huffs before taking all the plates to the sink, rinsing them off before setting them back down. "Thank you," I say, rushing over to clean them before setting them up to dry.

"Are you guys almost ready?" My dad asks from the bedroom, walking out soon after. My mom follows behind him, her hair tied up in a bun.

"Nearly done," I say, walking over to a chair before patting on it. Esperanza sits down, offering me her hair brush. I brush out Esperanza's hair before braiding it, using some of her bows to tie the ends of it.

"Let's go!" My mom eagerly says, trying to waddle out the door. My dad laughs before grabbing her hand, "Espera, amor! What if you fall and roll down the path!?" My dad half jokes, helping her step out the door. My mom playfully slaps my dad, "Ya!"

Esperanza giggles before putting her arms, wanting to be lifted up. My dad picks her up and we all start making our way to the Madrigal house.

— camilo's pov! —

"Camilo, Luisa!" Abuela calls out, "Go stand by the door and greet our guests, make them feel welcomed!"

Luisa and I nod before waiting by the door, already seeing some townspeople making their way over. I stretch a bit to prepare myself for the constant shifting and greeting.

"Compadre," I greet, shifting into a man before giving him a firm hug. The man smiles before patting me on the back and entering the casita.
"Hola, señora," I say respectfully to an elderly woman, kissing her cheek before guiding her in. I smile warmly at everyone who passes me, noticing one of the kids I frequently see when I'm on babysitting duty.

"Cecilia! Up top!" I call out, jumping up and shifting into Cecilia to high five her, shifting back into myself as I reach the ground. I smile and continue greeting everyone, guiding them inside before the official ceremony starts, which wouldn't be for a while. I nervously wait for (Y/n) to show up, slightly pacing in between guests.

I watch as Luisa carries donkeys around, soon calming back down as more guests approach.

——

i am back in school and out of quarantine! i'll probably update 2-3 times a week now ~!