Dramatic Entrance

Start from the beginning

I hold back my laugh as Alex winces and head over to the bedside computer monitor.

"Let me check on that for you, hopefully it shouldn't be too long."

She sighs and lays back in the bed as the contraction passes, looking at me hopefully.

"They put the order in a bit ago so the anesthesiologist should be here any minute." I say smiling and patting her hand.

She nods before tearing up. "I was supposed to have two more weeks, is he going to be okay?" 

I nod before crouching down and grabbing her free hand. "He was considered full term at 37  weeks, and he made it to 38. Everything looked good at your last appointment so I wouldn't worry. Dr. Watson is your OB, correct?"

She nods.

"Dr. Watson is amazing and one of my favorite people to work with, I promise you, you have nothing but the best people looking after you."

Callie nods again before bursting into tears. "We don't even have a name picked out! And Alex wants something stupid!" 

I hold back my laugh again as Alex looks like a deer caught in headlights. 

"I promise you he will have a name. I can help you look for some or go over options!" I say trying to distract her from crying, and the fact that I can see another contraction coming on the monitor. 

"And you could always name him Colton." Colton says as he strolls into the room.

Callie goes to yell at him but before she can the contraction hits, causing both her and Alex to yell. 

Colton looks over to me, looking just as terrified as his brother in that moment before looking down at my stomach, and then back up to my face.

"Not. Now." I mouth to him. He can freak out about bringing our baby into the world, just not while his sister in law is trying to bring his nephew into the world. 

Once the contraction ends, Callie falls back against the bed, panting heavily.

"Colton if you suggest we name the baby after you one more time, I will kill you. Name your own kid after yourself."

I laugh as Colton has the audacity to look ashamed. Before he can respond the angel himself walks in, the anesthesiologist. 

Colton and I leave the room to give them more space to work and give Callie her epidural. 

"I don't think I ever realized how intense having a baby was." Colton says gulping, taking a seat in the hallway. 

I nod, a bit worried at his reaction. If he looks this pale for his sister in law being in labor, he very well might pass out during mine. 

"We're all closed on the house, we can start moving in starting next Monday." Colton says, seemingly trying to distract himself.

I nod in response. "I was thinking of selling Roman my house. It will be easier than him having to find an apartment. Andy could continue staying there too. It will give them both more space."

Colton nods in agreement. "I worry your brother might be getting too close to her."

I roll my eyes in response. "He just wants to help her Colton. He's a big boy, he can handle himself." I say snappily.

I could feel the mood swing hitting me in full effect as Colton raises his eyebrows at me in response. 

"What?" I question, narrowing my eyes at him.

I almost instantly regret snapping at him as soon as the word leaves my mouth, but the last few nights have been hell. I don't think I've slept fully through the night in a week, and it just seems to be getting worse and worse between the baby moving and having to pee.