They Came From the Deep

Start from the beginning

It's dim and poorly lit. The light of the sun illuminates the dust swimming through the air. She glances at the bed but you're not there. She takes a step forward and something crushes under her heel. When she looks closer, she realises it's a scale, although it's crumbled into many parts. Strange, she thinks. There's an almost imperceptible smattering of blood on the pieces. She would linger on it longer if not for the sound of shuffling.

She walks closer; it's you, curled up against the wall and cloaked by a duvet. It works with the darkness and hides you, while scales decorate the floorboards.

Weiss finds herself bereft of words very suddenly. That's bizarre, she had so much she wanted to say before now.

"Hey," she says. You shift a slight bit, though you were aware of her the moment she stepped inside.

"Please leave," you mutter. "I don't want you to see me."

"... Why not?" she continues.

Your eyes rise to watch her, though she can't see much of your face in return. "You know why, you saw. I'm a... freak," you say, though the word is too big, filled with too much meaning, it takes up all the space in your throat and threatens to choke you out.

"Because... because you're a faunus?" she asks. She finds she can't do much but question. Her hands fiddle with each other. "I know I've said some perhaps derogatory things about them—your kind, I mean—but I don't think worse of you for it. It's just... who you are."

Weiss notices a hatred boil up I your eyes. "You can say that, you can lie, it doesn't change anything. I'm an abomination. You're disgusted by me, you should be."

"I don't understand where this is coming from," she says, getting down onto her knees. She leans closer to you. "I know I made a mistake, I should have left your past alone, but it's good that I know who you are. I still..." she pauses for a second, unsure of what she's about to say. "I still consider you my friend."

"Go away," you mutter.

"What? Please, just listen to me."

"Stop. You're only making things worse," you continue, retreating further inward.

"I'm sorry. I really am. Please, tell me what I can do to make this right."

"I just want you to leave; I just want to go home," you mumble, almost like it's a prayer. Weiss frowns and reaches out a hand to touch you, but you flinch away from it. "Don't," you say.

She tries to rack her brain for something else to say, but her mind is blank and her tongue is dry. She's never had to apologise before, but she feels as though her first attempt is a failure. Despite how wrong it feels, she turns away and does as you ask. The glyph stairway returns to the world in preparation for her. As she pulls herself into the window frame, she shoots you one last glance. It's equal parts pity and regret.

She leaves and skirts the edge of the cottage, watching her own feet instead of what's in front of her. She's about to walk down the street when a voice calls to her, "Schnee!"

Weiss turns on her heels, recognising the low tones of Yushan's voice. She's leaning against her own door, and she beckons Weiss closer to her. Uncertainly, she walks toward her. She doesn't quite feel safe without Myrtenaster, but she has glyphs.

"Yes?" she replies, stood a fair distance from the looming cottage.

"I know you went into my house," Yushan says. The tone of her voice is razor-sharp and self-assured, threatening all by itself.

Weiss returns her own glare. "How did you know?"

"You're not subtle; I heard your footsteps through the floor. You should wear heels less often." Yushan shrugs. "Besides, it's what I would have done."